Canon 1d

jose_perez_jr1

<p>I currently own a canon 7d and I am interested in buying a canon 1d. My question is which model would be better the mark iii or mark IV? I shoot a lot of sport and wildlife photos. Should I also consider a full frame sensor in one of these models? All of my lenses are fix aperture f/2.8 (Sigma 24-60mm, 70-200mm & 120-300mm). Your suggestion would greatly be appreciated.</p>

<p>For wildlife, as soon as you're focal length limited, there's no case for a Mk III or a Mk IV over a 7D - those photographers I know that own either of the 1D bodies <em>and</em> a 7D all agree that once you're cropping into the pro bodies' files to match the FoV of the 7D, you get better IQ from the crop camera because there are far more "pixels per duck", <em>and it shows</em>.</p>

<p><br /> I tested a Mk III extensively against my 7D before finally deciding on the 7D, and I agree completely with that view - like you, I use the 120-300mm f/2.8 (OS) (before that, the 100-400mm), and there's <em>no question</em> that the 7D is better if you need reach.</p>

<p>If you want a larger sensor, the 5d mk ii is cheaper right now.<br>

I didn't need the new bells and whistles on the mark iii and bought a new mk ii instead.</p>

<p>On the other hand, I came very close to buying a 7D for the "crop" advantage (<strong><em>having both formats is a real plus</em></strong>). Instead, I ended up with a 50D which will do what I need at a lower price, and my old 20D is still good for lots of things....</p>

<p>If you cannot afford/don't wan a Canon 1Dx then Canon 1D Mk. IV is almost as good for moost uses. 7D is OK but 1D4 is way ahead of it in virtually all aspects (AF, IQ, reliability, buid quality, you name it, and especially in the amount of post procesing torture that the RAW files from 1D4 can take effortlessly...) The "H" sensor format was a very lucky accident and too bad that Canon feels otherwise. Before you decide rent 1D4 and compare it to your 7D.<br>

Oh, and please don't go for this "pixels on the duck" nonsense: you may as well spend your time arguing the number of photons that one can fit on a pinhead. </p>

<p>There's a very strong case for a 1D MkIV over a 7D for sport and wildlife photography, even focal length limited. The AF of the MkIV is way faster, more accurate and more consistent the 7D by a couple of orders of excellence. Pixel density can't save a shot that's OOF. Your keeper rate with the MkIV will double or triple over the 7D.</p>

<p>I own both the 7D and the 5D MkIII. The 5D's AF has tripled my keeper rate for birds and wildlife photography. Many argue that the 1D MkIV's AF is even better than the 5D MKIII.</p>