Canon 1D MK III or the EOS 1Ds MK III

db_w

Hi all,

Just been looking at an upgrade from my trusted 50D, could you recommend which one is better for mostly wildlife photography - the Canon 1D MK III or the EOS 1Ds MK III?

1D MK III - 10.1 Megapixels with APS-H 1.3x 45 Autofocus points - 10 fps

1Ds MK III - 21.1 Megapixels with Full Frame 1.0x 45 Autofocus points - 5 fps

Both have 2 x DIGIC III processors and ISO same for both 100-1600.

I have recently bought a second-hand Tamron 150-600mm A011 f/5-6.3 Di VC USD and intend to use it with one of the above.

I also have a 50mm f/1.8 and a 70-200 f/4 L non IS.

Any recommendation would he highly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

First of all, keep the 50D. It has a respectable number of pixels and works well for long lenses where you get the extra 1.6X APS-C boost. It will be a nice backup, anyhow.

I always end up cropping wildlife shots a lot, so although the 1D models are fine cameras, I'd keep the pixel count high regardless of 'full-frame' or 'smaller' format.

If you're doing video why not go for one of the latest in the full-frame models. There is a patch that lets you do video on a 50D, but you'd be better off -I think-- to get a later camera where Canon has activated the video.

look at DxO They measure 9PMP for the III and 15 PMP for the IIIs behind some Tamron 150-600. To me a primary "unspectacular" super-tele shouts for a FF sensor behind it. I wouldn't bother to get any "APS for reach"-body to go with it. Going Canon 100-400 or Nikon 200-500 + APS would be maybe more portable and promising. I pondered getting the Tamron lens for my 5D IV; I am not really into sports wildlife & Nikon.

As much as I like 50mm on APS H (M8 in my case) I think the EF lenses you have and a EOS 1 IIIs should be nice for studio portraits with flash. The EOS 1 models are great for shooting tethered, right?

Clarifying: My unspectacular super tele experience is limted to test shooting cheap manual focus stuff like a 400/6.3 or Soviet 1000mm Cassegrain + Sigma 70-300s and 300mm Tair on APS from my balcony. I didn't like the results, compared to Pentax 100/2.8 macro or 135/2.8 on pixel level so I believe the box camera approach (big sensor or negative behind bad lens) is the way to go there.

I have no clue how the 1D IIIs competes against maybe more recent 5D models. ISO 1600 doesn't read like "much".