Canon 1D mark II vs Canon 40D

sfdgs

<p>I recently had my camera bag stolen with my 40D and Rebel XT inside of it. Luckily my lenses were in another bag that was left untouched. Anyhow, I can only afford to replace one body right today, and I'm looking at the 1D Mark II or the 40D. I shoot weddings and my daughter's volleyball games mostly, so I don't need anything over the 8MP. I'm leaning towards the used (gently) 1D MKII for the faster auto focusing and ability to use two memory cards which would come in very handy for weddings and sports. I know there is a lot of technology that has changed since the 1D II was released, but is it a good idea to purchase it over the 40D?<br>

Thanks, Jason</p>

<p>1D2 is a good camera but if you can go for a 1D2n: it does have more creature comforts and features. It is hard to tell the two apart in terms of IQ. 40D is a good camera but given a choice I'd use the1D2n if only for a beter AF and dual cards.</p>

<p>I currently shoot with a 40D & a 1D2N. You needn't worry about IQ: they have some differing characteristics, but overall IQ is comparable. Handling, however is very different.<br>

<br /> Personally, I strongly prefer the ergonomics of the 40D, where changing a setting usually involves only one button or dial instead of the two (or three) required by the 1D2N. Weight can be a factor, too. The 1D2N is so heavy that on some days & some places I just don't want to lug it--but I don't have large, strong hands. OTOH, despite the fact that I generally prefer using the 40D, I always appreciate the ruggedness of the 1D2N, and sometimes need it for the better weather sealing and 2 memory cards. More to the point, the AF on the 40D is often inadequate for my needs (wildlife, mostly birds). I rely on the high frame rate & excellent AF of the 1D2N to get an action shot.<br>

For shooting volleyball or anything involving action, you'll certainly get better results with a 1D2N. I don't shoot weddings, so I can't add anything there.<br>

I second Michael's suggestion to get the (N) model.</p>

<p>If you shoot in-camera JPEGS, get the "n"model - picture styles help a lot! <br />Operational/ergonomics differences aside, EOS-1 series files can withstand more "torture" in post, that's a major difference between the EOS-1 series and any other DSLR in the Canon's line. If you can get a low-mileage 1D2n you'll be pleasently surprised by its AF, quality of output and other features (except two-hand controls...but that's vastly improved in Mk. III.)</p>

<p>I haven't used the 1 series cameras personally, but my daughter has in photography school and is wildly enthusiastic about them. They are apparently built like tanks, but are large.<br>

However, I think that Michael has put his finger on a crucial variable here</p>

<blockquote>

<p>If you can get a <strong><em>low-mileage</em> </strong> 1D2n you'll be pleasantly surprised [emphasis added]</p>

</blockquote>

<p>There are two kinds of users of 1D camera bodies: the pros and the rich doctors (or whatever) who can afford the most expensive of toys.<br>

If you can find a 1D used by the latter, I'd say go for it.<br>

On the other hand, a pro is more likely going to use the thing right up to the max, running it through 100,000s of actuations. A used pro camera <em>could</em> be no bargain at any price.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>On the other hand, a pro is more likely going to use the thing right up to the max, running it through 100,000s of actuations. A used pro camera <em>could</em> be no bargain at any price.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Well, the"pros" (whatever that means) maintain their cameras well... I'm a typical "heavy" user and put a lot of mileage on cameras but every camera I use goes for service every few months (or at least once a year) and I always service/fix my cameras prior to selling them. A few months ago I sold my 1Ds2 with over 190 000 actuations and the buyer is as happy as a clam but I'm always up front about the usage. The greatest disappointment is buying a pristine-looking camera that has spent its life on a tripod in a high-volume studio and has clocked 300K actuations: I'd rather buy a "beater" from a known, honest source.</p>

<p>Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately I won't be able to know who the camera is from, I'm going through KEH since they have a 60 day guarantee and I've always been satisfied with everything I've purchased from them.<br>

JDM, I will definitely check on the actuations and keep my eyes open for any possible problems or issues.</p>

<p>I have a 1D2 that was purchased used. It had been used in a newspaper's photo dept, so it got heavy use and has the scars to prove it. But like someone said above, that camera is built like a tank, and works fine despite the heavy use. If you go that route, I think you'll be happy.</p>

<p>I have both the 1Dii and the 40D.... i like them for different needs.. the 40D for extra reach with a zoom and for the style settings and ease of use.... the 1Dii for the fast af, high burst rate and overall build ( i just feels better in my hands)... although the controls are not as easy to use, you will get the hang of it quickly...oh , and don't forget about the two card holders! that's really nice when you want/ need it.... all, in all, i would take the 1Dii....</p>