performance mainly because of its severe loss of light and blur at the

edge and corner even at f/5.6-8!!

I am considering the new 17-40 but most reviews and comments I can

find on the web are mainly based on DSLR, which 1.6x factor cannot

reflect the quality of the edge portion of a picture. Did anyone use

this lens with a film EOS? How's its performance and does it have my

aforementioned problems (loss of light and blur at the corner)? Thanks

in advance.

Hi there Ivan, I've had a 17-40mm for a few weeks now and use it on an EOS 3. I mostly shoot slides (provia 100F) and have been very impressed with the lens. I have also used a 16-35mm L f2.8 and found that at f4 the new lens is every bit as good...the contrast actually seems a little better. There is a little distortion around the edges at 17mm (but you would expect that) and is probably why you want a very wide angle zoom anyway.

I am very impressed with the lens and had I not already had one, I would certainly go out a get one. If I could have either the 16-35mm or the 17-40mm, I would take the 17-40mm. One thing you will have to factor into the purchase price is the cost of some form of filter to fully 'seal the front of the lens. The front element of the lens goes in and out a little when zooming and the filter just seals off this movement from the outside world.

Great lens, you will be happy with it.

Hi Ivan, I have the 17-40 f/4L and have used it on both my EOS 1V as well as my 10D. I really like it and it's quite a bit less expensive than the 16-35 f/2.8L. It has a very useful range on both cameras. I've found corner sharpness good, very little flare, and all my pics with it have been sharp and contrasty. It doesn't quite hang with my 70-200 f/2.8L IS in terms of sharpness, but not too many lenses do. I give it 2 thumbs up! Best wishes . . .

Ivan,

I'm just purchased 17-40 mm f/4L to be used for my EOS 3. Comparing with 16-35 mm f/2.8L & 24-70 mm f/2.8L, 17-40 mm results are darker than the other 2 contenders on 17 mm until 35 mm where all lenses overlapped. The results that I get from 17-40 mm are great even above 28 mm range, the pictures are bit softer than 16-35 or 24-70.

Hope this will help..

happy shooting !

rendy

• 4 months later...