Cannot Start Nikon Capture 4 Editor in XP

ben_tsai

For some reason, my Nikon Capture 4 Editor will not start under

Windows XP. I can use the Nikon Capture Control with my D70 without

trouble. I do have a valid key for the software, but the applicaiton

won't even start. I reinstall it several times.

Under windows task manager, there is no applicaiton. I went under

Processes, I can see NCapture.exe uses 98% cpu and 19.8 M memory. It

is doing something but cannot get doing. I upgraded it to 4.1 and

4.1.2 but the same problem exit.

I am totally at a lost as to what happen. Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Ben

I dont really know what your problem is. I have XP and my capture runs ok. Few suggestions:

Go to control panel/add remove programs ( you have to switch to classic view) and uninstal capture. I would uninstal any other Nikon software that are there, you can instal the later.

Go to Nikon website and download the trial version ( do not reinstal using your cd if you have one)

Try running the program in trial mode, see how it goes... let us know.

Ben,

I'm having the same problem. I installed the trial version of Capture 4.0 when I got my D70. I then purchased the full box version of 4.1. Prior to installing 4.1 I unistalled the trial version. Everything went well until I tried to open Editor. The little progress hourglass would pop up for a few seconds, then nothing would happen.

I've been working with Nikon tech support now for the last week or so, but their recommendations have not worked. They basically told me to completely uninstall and reinstall the software. The second time they gave me more detailed instructions on how to make sure all traces of the software were removed before I tried to reinstall it. But even this didn't work.

Let me know if you would like me to send you their instructions. But since they didn't resolve the problem, it probably won't work for you either given that you have already tried to reinstall it several times. If you figure this out please let me know!

I had the same problem with Capture 4.0 and Windows XP. Nikon support took weeks trying to solve the problem - I spent hours (I mean literally hours!) on the phone with them, unistalling, installing, uninstalling, disconnecting all printers, external drives, etc. They couldn't find the problem or a solution. Finally, they sent me a CD with 4.1 (two days before the official release)and walked me through the uninstall and install process again. This time it worked. However, who knows if it was in fact a stock 4.1 disk? I think Nikon is aware of compatability issues but will still take the $$ from whoever wants to buy Capture 4.0. Although more expensive, Photoshop CS might be the answer as it would make Capture redundant but for operating the camera from a computer.

i also have this problem.i think incompatible between the Nikon softwares cause this.i installed Nikon Scan 4 first,and Nikon Capture will not work,i need to uninstall all Nikon Softwares to get the Capture work properly.So i finaly decide to use Photoshop CS to deal with all my raw files.

• 2 weeks later...