Cannot save jpeg in Photoshop even with 8-bit

Hi. I'm a reasonably experienced Photoshop CS3 user but by no means an expert.

I've been having trouble saving .jpegs in Photoshop CS3 after opening RAW files. It used to be that once i opened

a raw file you'd see IMG_WHATEVER.CR2 then i could save as a jpeg but after working a tif file i made in

Photomatix pro, if i go to save as... the drop down menu only shows:

Photoshop

Cineon

Dicom

Larger Document Format

Photoshop PDF

Photoshop RAW

PNG

TIFF

(i can't be bothered to type out the extensions)

After reading other similar posts I have discovered that the problem is usually that the file is in 16-bit format

and jpegs only support 8-bit but my settings ARE at 8-bit in Adobe Camera RAW 4.5 and if i got to Image -> Mode

then it is RGB colour and 8-bit/channel.

I'm sorry if the answers really obvious but I'm stuck.

Any ideas?

There is no DNG option? Are you converting directly from the Camera Card? What destination (folder) are you trying to save to? (Download to computer first, choose "save in new location" to a system HD) Are you in current alpha version of ACR? My options in ACR don't even offer Large Doc Format (PSB). I only get jpg, tif, dng and psd. <p>Maybe someone will recognize your problem, 'cause (sorry) I don't... t

I've found a work around - a VERY obvious one that shows me up for the novice I am.

Before I always opened the image into Photoshop then did any fine tuning like sharpening filters etc, then 'saved

as' a .jpeg. I plain never noticed the 'Save Image' button in ACR 4.5 before! I just tried that and it works fine

saving as .jpg but I still cant save as a jpeg from CR2 files without using save for web. and I used to be able

to. I really can't work out what has changed.

The CR2 files are in 8-bit mode and have no layers.

I CAN save as a .tif, make sure the mode is 8-bit, then save as a jpeg but i used to be able to save straight as

a jpeg, which i can't do now (even though the CR2 file is in 8-bit).

Now I've found these workarounds I'm less stressed but still confused. now i just want to know for the sake of

learning.

and thanks for you help guys. I really appreciate it.

• 4 months later...
<p>Ok. So i was having the same problem as you and then i realized it had to be connected to my using Lightroom 2 for the first time to launch cs3 to edit my photo when i had always done it with bridge. So i went into lightroom under pref. --> external editing. Under FILE FORMAT it changed from Tiff back to PSD for both CS3 and all other external ediitors.. Made sure it was 8bit for both ofcourse and then whala....back to the good old days.</p>