Cannot import images to iPad using IOS 8.3

I recently Upgraded to IOS 8.3 on my 3rd generation iPad. Now I cannot download any images using either of the two 30-pin interface

adapters in the Apple iPad Camera Connection kit (http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531ZM/A/apple-ipad-camera-connection-kit?

fnode=3a). The camera connection kit is the only way to directly import images to an iPad, other than first downloading from the camera

to a desktop/laptop then syncing the iPad to the computer to transfer the images.

After "upgrading" to IOS 8.3, and trying to import images using the camera connection kit adapters, I get an error message advising

the "device is not supported" by my iPad. Apple Tech Support was no help whatsoever; they denied the problem exists, even though several others have posted the same complaint on Apple's own troubleshooting forum.

I'm told I cannot restore the previous IOS version after installing 8.3. And now there's no way to directly import images to the iPad. Any

suggestions?

<p>I confess that I have always used the indirect route - upload from the camera (memory card) to a computer, then export reduced size image to iCloud or via an email or message. Dropbox also works, and allows you to keep an image library in cloud memory for access by an iOS device. I have an app for iOS that facilitates this transfer for photos, music and documents on a permanent or temporary basis. (It's not necessary to download most items from Dropbox in order to view them. My customers find that very useful from their portable devices.)</p>

<p>Is your camera set to the correct mode? Most cameras have two modes for a connection (e.g., USB) - data mode (HD) and remote control. The iPad probably requires one mode and the other mode registers as "device not recognized."</p>

<p>Full sized images from a camera will quickly load up the limited memory of an iPad. Do you have enough memory to import more photos?</p>

<p>iOS 8.3 changed a lot of options and permissions, partly for security reasons. You should check the control panel for any changes. iOS has a reputation of creating new bugs in the effort to clean up old ones. If there is a systematic problem with 8.3, a Google search is more likely to yield results than a dedicated forum like PNET. Don't hold your breath for salvation from 8.4, now in beta.</p>

I don't believe it's a camera settings issue; every file, from the most basic jpeg made with some cheap digicams all the

way to RAW files from my D300/700/800 and Fuji Xs, will not import now using the camera connection kit adapters, either with

a direct connection via a USB cord to the camera(s), or when using the SD card reader. They will import/transfer to my iPad with no problem when syncing to my desktop/laptop after downloading the files to those devices. And I never had this issue before "upgrading" to 8.3, no matter what the cameras' settings.

I have been advised (by a couple of very cynical people at the local Apple store) that IOS 8.3 has some sort of bug (or a

feature?) that will not allow the 30-pin interfaces on the iPad camera connection kit to be recognized by the latest IOS. The

latest iPads only have lightning ports, so 8.3 may not support the older 30-pin interface devices. Perhaps Apple wants us

all to buy new iPads.

I've done a few resets of all the iPad's settings to see if that would restore the machine's importing capability. I've explored and

tinkered with all the available settings on the machine; so far, nothing seems to work. I always get the same "device not supported" error message.

The available memory on my iPad with IOS 8.3 could be the problem. I have a lot of stuff on there just taking up

space, things I never use, and there's not much memory available right now. I'll sync and back up the entire iPad contents to my laptop and perform a complete wipe of all the settings and stored data; I can restore whatever data I choose after the complete wipe. Perhaps

freeing up most of the available memory will do the trick. One can only hope.

IOS 8.4/6/or 8 may solve this particular problem, but I'm not holding my breath. Who knows what other problems will arise when those "upgrades" are made available. It seems every time I upgrade the IOS on this iPad, I discover a bunch of changes I didn't really want...after the fact. I'm thinking the cynics are correct: 30-pin interface support will be phased out with all future IOS "upgrades."

I've been using my iPad mainly as a portfolio display device, only importing images directly from my cameras/SD cards when I want to review them in greater detail on the retina display out in the field and do some basic editing. If IOS 8.3 prevents me from doing that now, I'll just have to stop importing images directly. Thanks, Apple.

<p>I have every sympathy with you as I have had several transfer issues with my iPads.<br>

On one occasion I tried to try to free up space by deleting some home videos, but was told by the Apple shop that it could not be done without the iTunes that loaded them. Unfortunately that PC that had that iTune is dead. Apple were unable to help me.<br>

On updating my wife's iPad to IOS 8 several apps failed to work with no reason other than the updated IOS version.<br>

On my iPad I have refused to update the IOS mainly due to these and issues like yours. I think you are right, these manufactures make these changes so that you have to update your equipment. My recommendation is not to do the updates.</p>

Completely wiping all stored content and settings from the iPad, and setting it up as a "new" iPad to free up all available memory, had no effect whatsoever; the 30-pin camera connection kit devices are still not supported. It seems there's no way to directly import images to my iPad after upgrading to IOS 8.3.

I realize every operating system upgrade changes a few things, but to prevent the direct importation of images to previous generation

iPads after upgrading to the latest IOS is absurd. Apple should publish these major changes when they offer upgrades, or make it possible to easily restore the previous IOS version. I've been told jailbreaking my iPad is the only way to restore the previous IOS version. I'll try that.

<p>I've learned since the introduction of the 6-series iPhones and IOS 8 that Apple's policy is to only test what they want to test, leaving much of the problems and debugging to users, don't admit anything IOS 8 broke, and certainly don't fix it unless it effects apps (aka, revenue). I know the 30-pin adaptor works with devices to play music and charge iPhone/iPads with lightning connections, but IOS 8 broke bluetooth on my iPhone 5s but not my iPad. That's Apple now days. As for your problem, I use the circular route (Camera card to Mac to iPad) since the direct download never worked with my Camera witih Apple's connector.</p>

Update on the issue I was experiencing importing images directly after upgrading to IOS 8.3 on my iPad:

Not being one to give up easily, I kept calling Apple hoping to find some resolution. I finally managed to speak with

someone (Zina Quigley) who seemed to take an active interest in my problem. Zina promised she'd discuss the matter

with "the engineers" and get back to me.

Surprisingly, the next day I was contacted by someone (from Apple's engineering department?) who acknowledged they

had received numerous reports of the problem. The guy claimed it was being caused by the older Camera Connection

Kit 30-pin interface devices becoming dirty, worn or damaged, and somehow failing to properly make the necessary

connection(s) when inserted into the 30-pin slot on certain iPads.

The individual couldn't explain why this problem suddenly started happening after upgrading IOS 8.3, but he stated the

engineers were busy trying to determine whether this was the cause of the problem. To determine if my older "dirty, worn or defective" Camera Connection Kit adapters were causing the problem, he immediately sent me a brand new Apple Camera Connection Kit.

I received the new kit yesterday, overnight delivery and free of charge. I'm happy to report both new Camera Connection Kit adapters functioned perfectly with my 3rd generation iPad running the latest IOS 8.3. All images now import directly, using both the SD card reader and USB cord from my cameras, via the 30-pin interface, with no error messages. Problem solved!

This new Camera Connection Kit sent to me by Apple does not look and feel like the older kit I had been using; I suspect

they have redesigned the device somehow. This (redesigned?) camera connection kit is not available for sale at any of

the local Apple stores/vendors; I had been advised the older 30-pin interface kit had been discontinued and replaced with

the new lightning interface camera connection kit. Apple still sells their 30-pin interface Camera Connection Kit on their

Apple store site, but it must be the newer (redesigned?) version.

Just as an experiment, I tried my older (supposedly "dirty, worn or defective") 30-pin interface Camera Connection Kit

devices on a friend's 3rd generation iPad, a machine that had never been updated to any of the later IOS versions (my

friend's iPad is still running the original IOS 6.something). Both of my Camera Connection Kit devices functioned

perfectly on my friend's iPad; images imported as usual with no error messages. This leads me to believe my older

Camera Connection Kit devices' 30-pin interfaces are not the problem. I can only conclude Apple redesigned the new

Camera Connection Kit devices's 30-pin interfaces to properly function with their most recent IOS 8.3 upgrade.

If any of you are experiencing this same issue after upgrading to IOS 8.3, Apple will probably send you (hopefully, also

free of charge) their new Apple Camera Connection Kit devices so you can continue importing images directly via the 30-

pin interface. It's worth the effort.

• 4 weeks later...

Dear Sergio,

please let me know if your old cammera connection kit was original by apple company or not original by third party company? I have no-

name camera connection kit for 3$ from eBay (not 29$ - original by apple) and on older iOS 8.1.2 works fine, but after update to iOS 8.3

stop to work. Before and now after connect it to my iPad Air I see the same message: "the connected device is not supported..." but

despite of this message before it worked fine. Thanks in advance for reply - just want to make sure that Apple stop allow to use third party

product with iOS 8.3. Best regards, Daktari

Ps. If Sergio do not read this thanks in advance for reply another person who read this.