Cannot get memory card unlocked

bobbollinger

<p>I have searched on PNet for an answer but had no luck. I have an SD card I shot on my K10 and when I tried to download the photos, the card was "locked." No download. The card had a little slider switch on it but sometime between shooting the pics and trying to download, the little slider fell out of the card and got lost, apparently leaving it in "locked" mode. <br>

Anyone have any idea about how to unlock the card without the slider, or other ideas? Will recovery software work with a locked card? Thanks. </p>

<p>Very simple solution. Take a little tape and cover the little notch where the slider was. Make sure the notch is filled to match the 'height' of the side. I had this happen to a card and put a small bit of paper on the tape that filled the notch and taped it in place on both sides of the card. Just make sure it's not thicker than the card is. Normal Scotch tape does fine. </p>

<p>Slip the card in your card reader and the computer should see it as now unlocked. After you get the images off, toss the card. </p>

<p>I don't believe itis what it seems to be:</p>

<p>1. I locked my cards most the time when I put them in the computer to get and process the photos. Never have a problem</p>

<p>2. You only have problem when your card is inyour camera and is locked and you want to take a shot</p>

<p>3. The tape solution does notwork at least with my reader</p>

<p>You should still be able to read the cards off a "locked" card. You just won't be able to write to the card, delete anything or format the card.<br>

If you open up the card, there may be some sort of switch on the circuit board that you can push around manually to unlock it before downloading the images and tossing the card.</p>

<p>Glad that Bob resolved his his issue. Thought I'd contribute that even though it may be possible to read the pictures even if card is locked, if the software performing the download is set to 'move' or 'delete images after download', etc. (rather than leaving them on the card) it may produce errors during the download.</p>