Canham Lens shade 'v' alternatives

gerard_bynre

<p>I recently purchased a Canham DLC 4 x 5. I'm looking into getting a compendium shade for it. My previous camera, a Sinar, used a regular bellows as a compendium shade. I'd like something similar for the Canham (as opposed to using dark slides, stetsons, or other innovative alternatives).<br /> I'm shooting with a range of lenses from 90 mm - 210mm. The 90 mm, a Nikon f.4.5 has an 82 mm filter thread. I need use of movements, and something that won't fall apart if it rains.<br /> Any opinions on the Canham shade versus the generic alternatives like Lee etc ?</p>

<p> </p>

I use a couple of the Lee hoods (the wide angle and the square version) with my DLC, using lenses from 75mm to 305. I've also used the Lee

hoods with all other formats: 35mm, medium format (6x6, 6x7, 6x9) and up to 8x10. The larger wide angle hood works well for just about all

4x5/5x7/8x10 lenses, its rectangular aspect ratio is more appropriate for these formats than the smaller square version. The Lee wide angle

hood compresses nearly flat for very wide lenses, extends out several inches for much longer focal lengths and provides excellent shading for

just about any LF lens. Both hoods still function well and look like new after many years of field use, the hood material is very rugged and stiff,

it holds it shape very well when compressed and extended, and the entire system is very durable and weather-resistant. The Lee hoods clip

onto adapter rings that screw into the filter threads of any lens so-equipped, the wide angle adapters are recessed, or set back, to prevent any

vignetting with wide angle lenses. The Lee hoods have built-in filter slots (for use with either regular square Lee filters or their rectangular

graduated filters...other brand filters can be used as well) and can be combined with other Lee multiple filter holders. It's a very good and

versatile system that can be used with just about any camera format/lens, all you need is the correct-size adapter ring for the particular lens.

I've used other compendium shades (not the Canham version), that attach to the camera's front standard, not the to the lens filter thread, and I

find the Lee hoods easier to use and more versatile.

<p>Sergio,<br>

Thanks for your answer, which is really helpful. I was wondering about the relative value of the Lee wide angle hood 'v' the standard hood. Since 4 x 5 is close enough to square in aspect ratio, I was thinking the normal (square) Lee hood might be better. Certainly the hood I had on the Sinar was square, and worked well. Good point too about using the Lee system on other formats - I dabble in 6 x 7, and 35 mm of course, so maybe the Lee is the better route. <br>

I'll do a little more research comparing the different Lee hoods. Thanks.</p>

• 2 weeks later...