candlelit ceremony in the evening

deni

<p>Hello,<br>

I know there are alot of questions regarding this, but I get overwhelmed when reading all of them. I will be shooting a wedding in the evening in a small church. I was told it is going to be a candlelight ceremony. I have never shot in candlelight before. I have shot plays with no flash. But of course they have stage lighting. I shoot with a canon 50D and have an 85mm 1.8 lens and a 35mm 1:2. I hate using tripods. But more than likely I will have to use one. Would anyone have suggestions that possibly I might need to rent a different lens? I also have a 28-135mm IS lens 3:5- 5:6. Thanks for any help. I want to be sure I can make their wedding beautiful.<br>

Thank you, Denise</p>

Can you post a photo of the site? I think most of the old timers and some of the newer photographes have shot candle lighting ceremonies.

In general I try to shoot around 15th of a second to pick up the candle lights and ususally use a 4 star filter on most of the shots.

I don't know what to tell you about tripods. Pretty much everyone I know, including a National Geographic photographer uses a pod on just about evry shot. Everyone has their own style and often related to time decide if a pod is needed.

<blockquote>

<p>I have never shot in candlelight before.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I have. It stinks. I don't know how good the 50D is at high ISOs? Mine was in a church, at night, candlelit. First rule of photography: no light, no image. I was shooting @ ISO 3200, f/2, 1/50th for hand held. Drop to ISO 1600 and 1/25th bursts on a tripod. That's in general. I took some different "artistic" exposures, but if I wanted to see a face (there weren't any candles near the faces), I was pushing the limits of my gear. I agree with Bob, I did use a star filter on several shots... but that is tricky too. I prefer to bump my aperture to something like at least f/3.5 when using the star filter, which means a subsequently slower shutter. Now if I could use flash.... CTO the flash. I prefer 1/2 CTO, others full CTO.</p>

<p>Denise, you are going to be sucking. You'll need a monopod, and teach yourself to brace properly before shooting this. Maybe even a preset tripod... @iso 1600 (the max(!) I'd shoot a ceremony w/ on the 50D), even WO on your 85/1.8, and 35/2, you should expect shutter speeds in the 1/15 to 1/60 range. In this circumstance, the 28-135 is going to be utterly useless. </p>

<p>Make sure you are shooting RAW of course...</p>

<p>I'd probably try to find a 50/1.4 to complement the 35 & 85, but other than that (or renting a 5D2 (with which you could shoot 6400 comfortably, and roughly equiv to 1600 on the 50D)), and getting your low shutter speed technique down, theres not much you can do. Flash is out of the question (see if there's a way to destroy the ambience faster ;-) ) of course... yeah, like I said, you are going to be sucking!</p>

<p>Candlelit ceremonies will also vary in actual light level, depending upon how many candles are used, where, and whether supplemental tungsten or other non candle lights are used. I'd prepare for the worst--only a few candles in an otherwise dark environment without supplemental light, and then adapt to what you actually end up with.</p>

<p>As for renting lenses, you can rent the f1.2 ones and they <strong>may</strong> help if you really want to go hand held, and can push your ISO up comfortably so that you <strong>can</strong> go hand held. I would guess that ISO 1600 would be OK, and ISO 3200 would be decent with exposure care (don't underexpose) and noise control in post. Whether you can actually use ISO 3200 with good use of f1.2 lenses is a big question however. If you can't, then the rentals may be for naught. Also, f1.2 gives very slim DOF, and focusing will be an issue in near dark conditions. If you're thinking there is a magic low light lens--there isn't, unfortunately.</p>

<p>I'd definitely bring the tripod, not a monopod. Also practice shooting during the pauses (maybe you already are good at this, since you have shot plays with no flash). Depending upon restrictions in movement and position (check with the officiant) you may not be able to shoot a lot anyway. Use your focus assist light on your flash (without the flash going off). Also brush up on manual focusing, should you need to go that route.</p>

<p>Consider re-creating the highlights after the ceremony where you can control the lighting, and/or add carefully blended flash (gelled and used sparingly). If you do this, realize you will have to have a plan (know what you need to re-create) and execute the plan quickly. You will also need to allow time for this, which takes away from the family photo session which normally follows the ceremony. It is best to ask the officiant before the ceremony, whether he or she can stay (keep robes on) after the ceremony is over for a few re-creations.</p>

I would definitely suggest renting the 5dmkii and more than suggest sucking up your hate of tripods. In this case, and

frankly many others, they are your friend, not your foe. I understand not wanting to do a reception with a tripod, but a

ceremony in low light, I am thanking the photo gods for it. Be sure to have a tripod with a quick release feature. I use my

tripod more when I leave that part screwed in to the camera/bracket.

I don't know if the 50d has live view or not, but you can use that for help with manual focusing if that becomes necessary.

<p>Candle-lit ceremonies are a tall order for any camera, especially because you are trying to capture the ambience created by the candles. I shot one recently, and even on my 5D2, it was a tough one. I would reckon your fastest glass would be of most use, even if only to ensure focus is achieve. Maybe not wise to rent a different camera body, but very wise to hire the excellent 135/2 to supplement your 35 and 85mm primes. I doubt your 28-135 will get much use.</p>

<p>The photo below was shot at 75mm, f/2.8, ISO 3200, 1/13sec, no flash</p><div>00Zi1t-422603584.jpg.3685e5c1ff199179d6ee6c66cb23c17d.jpg</div>

<p>Don't fret. If you break down what you actually have to do, it won't seem so difficult.</p>

<p>Just because the actual ceremony will be candle lit, doesn't mean every shot in the church has to be available light. I'm sure you will be able to use flash for the procession and recession and any formals after the actual ceremony. If there is time, you can stage a few of the more important ceremony shots like the first kiss if it was really dark when it actually happened. That way you are covered.</p>

<p>During the ceremony, I would strongly suggest a tripod, and even a cable release. Can you borrow one? Since you said the church was small, I'd bet the 85/1.8 will do the trick. I'm not a tripod fan myself, but take one to every ceremony no matter what. Just set it up and time the shots to when the subjects are not moving ... which, with a ceremony is almost all the time. Put the 35/2 on the second camera for wider hand-held shots and just brace yourself against a column or pew, or get a bean-bag support. A monopod would be best for these more "roving shots" </p>

<p>One thing I would technically suggest is read your camera manual and learn how to set manual white balance ... and set it for the ceremony shots. Candle light is very warm, and will look brighter on your LCD, but when imported for post processing will suddenly look very under-exposed. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I have never shot in candlelight before. </p>

</blockquote>

<p>Hi Denise,</p>

<p>You already have lots of good advice here, so I won't repeat too much other than to say… shoot in candle light before you have to do it for pay.</p>

<p>Have some set up around you home and use your family as they sit and talk or watch tv etc. That way you can best get a feel for the apertures needed, SS's and ISO. Refine your skills at handholding and be prepared for that day.</p>

<p>Tripod is the only way to go! And a cable release along with old-fashioned mirror lock-up (if your camera does this?). What you really need to capture is the vows, rings & blessing. Hardly anybody actually buys the reading shots anyway! And by the kiss shot, all of the guests will be popping away, so you better use flash too or you risk a blown shot due to overexposure when Aunt Gertrude's point & shoot starts strobbing!</p>

<p>Forget about the coke bottle variable aperature cheepie zoom lens! Leave that one on your second camera body with the flash attached, so you can do processional & recessional shots along with the kiss shot at the end of the ceremony. Turn off the auto focus and practice with some candlelight in your house. IF you know what you're doing you can take 1/4 sec. exposures and get crisp results, provided the camera isn't trying to focus on the "hole" in-between the couple when they face each other dring the ceremony holding hands. I can't count the number of times our assistants got the background in perfect focus and the subjects were fuzzed out! Happens more with autofocus than it did with tradional film camers like our Hassleblads!</p>

<p>One more point....don't expose for the candles, as they're not 18% grey (that's what your built-in meter will interpret them as). Take several test shots to determine the actual exposure, which you may have to set manually or at least over-ride the camera, otherwise you might wind-up with extreme under-exposure, especially if the isle is all candle-lit and the camera sees all of this in a wider shot!</p>