canceled formating could damage camera?

okay, so this is what I did... while formating 2gigs of images on my Canon 30D I

accidentally pushed shutter button before formating was complete - and it

stopped formating and was ready to shoot. I wonder why camera is able to operate

while formating, and could it cause any damage to card? or camera?

Make sure your shots show on your computer. When I got my first digtal, a tech type told me never to "move" files from card, always "copy", then erase and reformat in camera. Said he'd had cases of card erased this way showing ok in camera view screen, on the next series of shots, , but not showing them once plugged into PC

Well Jack I have only formated in the camera twice is maybe six years of digital shooting. I always 'Move to' in Windows Explorer after first 'Copy to' ... I store each file in two places in my computer, two hard drives, working drive and archive drive.

Once the 'copy to' has gone through AOK I have a back-up in case anything happens untoward in the moveto process. The double transfer doesn't take twice as long as a single trnsfer so is no great hassle.

All a "move" does is erase all the images after the copy process is complete. However, since it's good practice to always reformat the card after uploading its contents to your PC, there's really no need to use "move" instead of "copy."

I always reformat in camera, but if I use the same card in multiple bodies, I reformat it with the PC first, so that the image numbering sequence doesn't get out of whack. (I always rename my images, but the image numbering sequence the cameras do is the only way I can keep track of shutter actuations in my 20D and 5D.)