Can you use the iPad to view and edit NEF files?

cc_chang2

<p>From another forum (m4/3), people there have found that one can use the included SD card readers to download and do simple editing of RAW and JPEG files. Has anyone tried the NEF files from our Nikon cameras? How do various programs on iPad compare to ViewNx?</p>

<p>I tried with nosuccess, to use the Apple "iPad camera interface", to load pictures from a number of digital cameras. All of them received message: "device not supported". Also attempted to use the USB port provided with the adapter, to connect a number of active and passive storage devices, and none of them was compatible.<br>

Apple really does not want you to do it, and instead, they want to control your contents of iPad via the iTunes application. If Apple continues to hold the grip on the iPad contents, it will loose to competition pretty soon.<br>

The best is to load your pictures into your iTunes on your computer, and then synchronize them with your iPad.</p>

<p>Note that iPad is not a general purpose computer yet, even though you can run thousands of applications. Has no power or capacity for serious NEF processing. </p>

<p>Think of iPad as a much bigger iPhone or iTouch for web browsing and email, or as a better Kindle for reading books. The sound quality of the builtin iPod seems much lower than the original iPod device.</p>

<p>I don't think it really makes sense, the biggest iPad right now is 64GB. I think you can buy CF cards that are 64 GB. If what you want is a backup on the road, maybe a portable backup device makes more sense than an ipad.</p>

<p>Does anyone make a standalone device that can duplicate CF cards?</p>

<p>CC,</p>

<p>Thom Hogan posted an article recently talking about how photographers shouldn't look to this as a tool for that purpose. It ain't there yet. I've had the opportunity to mess around with one. It's a big kid's toy, imho. GREAT for surfing the web in a small space and for iPod type of stuff... but as any kind of "computer" for doing any kind of photo storage/review? Nope.</p>

<p>Buy a small laptop and maybe a photo bag that will hold it.</p>

<p>"It won't replace a Kindle. The battery life is too short and the screen isn's as good for reading"</p>

<p>Do you even have one? Seriously! I think people should truly refrain from making such comments when they don't know. Unless you truly think 10 hours of continuous life to be "too short" and a screen with twice the clarity of the Kindle "not as good"...</p>

<p>Plus, the OP did not ask about that!</p>

<p>Also, the interface is supposed to work with devices which have their own power - that is why it does not work with card readers etc. If you connect your camera and it has sufficient power, it should work fine. However, as far as editing is concerned, I wouldn't buy the iPad for that. Use to maybe check your photos on a larger screen, sure. Use it as a very expensive storage device, okay, if you want - you can get a good Epson backup drive with 5 times the capacity for less money.</p>

<p>That's not really what the iPad is for. But you can use it to some extend. Oh, and Rob, a 64GB Extreme Pro CF card is around 600 USD, so I'm not so sure the idea of going for one of them vis-a-vis the iPad for purely financial reasons actually holds much water...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>It won't replace a Kindle. The battery life is too short and the screen isn't as good for reading.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I dunno, my wife has stolen mine for the express purpose of reading. I tried to get her interested in a kindle/nook and she said "no thanks". In my opinion, the Kindle is going to have to drop it's pricing like a rock to stay relevant. Amazon must have seen the writing on the wall or they wouldn't have created the Kindle ipad app.</p>

<p>FWIW, I have no issue reading on the ipad. And in fact, think the option of reading in dim light (due to having a backlit screen) is of more value than the e-ink display of the kindle et al. But that is just me.</p>

<p>Apparently you can't ask a simple question about an iPad without starting an argument on the merits of the iPad in general.</p>

<p>I haven't done it myself and specific info on file compatibility is scarce... I don't think there are very many camera kits in the wild yet... but I've read reports of people successfully using it to load and view NEF files from D200, D300, D700 and D90.</p>

<p>"Do you even have one? Seriously! I think people should truly refrain from making such comments when they don't know. Unless you truly think 10 hours of continuous life to be "too short" and a screen with twice the clarity of the Kindle "not as good"...<br>

Plus, the OP did not ask about that!"</p>

<p>Of course I don't have one - it's a silly device. A laptop is far more versatile, and an iPod is more convenient. And, yes, 10 hours is very short compared to a Kindle - don't you even known??? And, yes, it matters to some of us. I travel by rail and plane over 10 hours/week. As for the OP's question, conversations evolve, and I was responding to another post. Sheesh!</p>

<p>iPad probably converts your files to a useless (for serious photographers) format the way iPhoto does. I'm sure that the iPad is a great presentation tool. Load up your processed JPEGs and show them to family, friends, and clients. But for image PROCESSING you need a computer, and for image STORAGE you need more than 64G.</p>

<p>iPad storage is a nice idea, but it's not ready in the first version.</p>

<p>"in the wild yet... but I've read reports of people successfully using it to load and view NEF files from D200, D300, D700 and D90" - I tried to transfer NET and JPG files from D700 connected to the iPad via iPad Camera interface USB port, and camera USB to mini USB cable, but it does not work with the standard software that was delivered. Canon, and Lumix cameras I tried did not work either.</p>

<p>It tells me that I need to load the pictures into iTunes. Sometimes, I do not know exactly when and why this happens, a message appears that "device is not supported".</p>

<p>Perhaps a special software to operate external cameras is needed, that I do not have.?</p>

<p>As I've said a couple of times in various ways on photo.net:</p>

<p>If you are looking for an ultraportable budget computer that will let you get some photo work done on the road, you want a netbook. If you want a new type of device that allows you to interact with existing content in a new way, the ipad might be worth a look.</p>

<p>As for going off topic on a forum conversation, anyone who thinks that photo.net posts are strictly QUESTION/ANSWER hasn't looked at the philosophy of photography forum threads ever. Just like in real life, conversations wander.</p>

<p>Josh, you're absolutely right - conversations move and evolve all the time. However, just jumping into a conversation, having absolutely NO knowledge of the topic in question and simply dicing something you've never used, and adding nothing to the conversation is...well, pointless and useless. That was the point I was trying to make...;-)</p>

<p>Oh, and Robert, I do know that a Kindle has a longer life, but then again, it only does one thing. And I'm sure very, very few people would reasonably expect not to charge their device over the course of one week, so....;-) </p>

<p>NEF files have JPEGs embedded in them. Viewing these is relatively easy on any competent systems (note: I have not tried this on an iPad). But<br>

- If you want to process NEFs, e.g. to actually view the raw file contents rather than the embedded JPEG, you will quickly find that the CPU in the iPad is no match for a desktop or full size laptop<br>

- Storage is very limited in the iPad<br>

So if you want to store photos on the go and even view them on a small screen, get a portable photo storage station using a hard drive. If you want to store and edit photos on the go, get a laptop/netbook.</p>

• 2 months later...

<p>I've seen a few people reporting some success in loading NEF files on to an iPad. Something I'm very interested in for a few reasons.<br>

I own a 32Gb model and would find it VERY useful for carrying in my kit bag to upload the content of afew 4Gb cards to (assuming it stores the files in the same format) as a backup of the card while out and about. It would also be a very good way to show the client the work your doing as you go. OK, it's only a 1024x768 display, but it's a pretty good one and it's immeasurably better than the LCD on the back of your DSLR!<br>

As far as the iPad is concerned, it's not a 1:1 replacement for a Kindle, Laptop OR card backup device. However, it IS a device that if owned, can carry out a good proportion of the functions of all three - within a single unit! The long and short of it is that it's probably not worth buying one specifically for this task, but if you have one, and could use it like this - it would be very useful and probably daft not to.<br>

Cheers<br>

W</p>

• 1 year later...

FYI, re Photogene, I used my D700 while in Italy. I down loaded all my jpeg hi res file to my series 1 ipad using the usp/

ipad Apple adapter and USB cable. Have had no problems. Edited in Photogene which is GREAT. I am a Nik and PS5

user, but Snapseed and The Photoshop app do not come close. I was able to do 90% of the editing with Photogene and

then go down to my expresso bar with Wi-Fi and export from Photogene direct to Flickr,Facebook or email. You can use

FTP or Dropbox if you want to modify the file name. I am very impressed with the Photogene editing capability.

Check my flickr.com/photos/hankster123. Most of the last aprox twenty entries were edited with Photogene, check tags.

• 11 months later...

I use a D700 to connect to my iPad 3 when on the road. It will easily transfer jpg + Nef (if I choose) files but camera has

to be connected with a USB cable and powered on. I can them transfer them to my computer when I return home. I am

currently in route to Iceland to do some photography and plan to download at least some of my photos to my iPad. I also

keep the photos on the cards as backups just in case but transferring them to my iPad allows me to review them while in

the field and on the trip home. For me manipulating the images are best done on a computer however some adjustments

can be made with Photogen or similar.