Can you see the difference between 4K and 1080p on a typical laptop screen?

MichaelChang

<p>I invite you to view this short NASA clip at 4K and at 1080p and compare the two if you have enough bandwidth:<br>

<a href="

</a> - 1:13 total time</p>

<p>I see a big difference on a couple of average Lenovo laptops with 1600x900 native resolution which technically shouldn't be the case, so maybe it's the higher bit rate from YouTube when selecting 4K streaming? </p>

<p>Do you see a difference? and what's your take?</p>

<p>I notice that 4K UHDTV's seem to show clearer and more detailed pictures over 1080, even though the eye supposedly cannot see the resolution that closely (assuming you're viewing far enough from the tv). But when I look, I do see a difference and the IHDTV look better. Maybe there's something the eye and brain is doing that science hasn't figure out yet that go beyond the eye's ability to discern resolution. </p>

<p>Hi Alan, thanks for having a look and your feedback. </p>

<p>I thought YouTube might be streaming 4K video at a higher bitrate, therefore less compression accounting for the better visual details.</p>

<p>Clearly there's a demonstrable quality difference between different 4K cameras, but I'm wondering if there's enough of a visual difference among average high quality cameras to justify shooting 4K over 1080p, considering the file sizes involved and the demands placed on editing gear, or if there's a difference between shooting native 4K over upsampled 1080p (to 4K). </p>

<p>Hi Alan, thanks for having a look and your feedback. </p>

<p>I thought YouTube might be streaming 4K video at a higher bitrate, therefore less compression accounting for the better visual details.</p>

<p>Clearly there's a demonstrable quality difference between different 4K cameras, but I'm wondering if there's enough of a visual difference among average high quality cameras to justify shooting 4K over 1080p, considering the file sizes involved and the demands placed on editing gear, or if there's a difference between shooting native 4K over upsampled 1080p (to 4K). </p>

<p>Mike The 1080 video is so-so on the 4K UHDTV as the "up-rez" has lots of artifacts. ((or is that up-sampling?)) It's not as noticeable as long as you sit away from the screen far enough. Some TV and receivers handle the up-rezing better than others. So I would think, although I have no camera that shoots 4K, that shooting 4K will give better results at least on a 4K TV. That's certainly demonstrable looking at 4K from YouTube or from Sony Ultra downloads of 4K movies. The 4K can be stunningly better. I haven't bought a 4k BR movie yet. But I assume it will be at least as good as the 4K streaming. </p>

<p>Summing up, probably not so critical with a monitor but if you figure that you will probably want to see it eventually on a 4K TV, I'd shoot it in 4K. Of course that means buying another new camera and costs etc. You may need computer upgrade too to edit 4K-don't know for sure.</p>

<p> </p>