Can You Replace Hasselblad's Tripod Shoe?

arthur_gottschalk

I would like to replace Hasselblad's older tripod mounting shoe (base plate) with the newer style that fits the latest Tripod Quick Coupling (2002) device. Can this be done? This last QC is a wonderful device. I know that Hasselblad made QC plates that can be bolted over the older base plates, but I would like to replace it entirely.

Yes, it is possible, but you would need a long-discontinued $30 parts kit Hasselblad sold back in the '90s for this exact purpose. Chances of finding such kits today are very slim.

Also, the update was not possible for all Hasselblads. Assuming you could lay hands on the parts kit, you can only retrofit the new shoe to 500cm bodies with serial #RH1271268 or later. The older 500c bodies and earlier 500cm could not accept the new parts.

The modification was available as Part No. ZZ 95, which could also be used to update the 503cx, 2000FCW and 2003FCW.

BTW, the official parts "kit" was basically just the new foot with some new replacement screws i(n case your old screws were worn).

All you probably need is the foot itself, which pops up on eBay every now and then as Hasselblad 30763. If you have an eBay account, run a search for the foot and save it with notification option. eBay will then send you an email when somebody lists one.

Note the limitations re only fits 500cm bodies mfd post-1982 (NG for 500c at all).

Edited by orsetto

I use a Really Right Stuff (RRS) plate with a lip on the short edge, which engages the end of the Hasselblad plate and keeps it from turning. The long axis is parallel to the lens. The same plate is available with either a 1/3-20 or 3/8-16 screw. That way the same RRS tripod clamp fits all of my cameras, as well as flash brackets and focusing rails. Other than compatibility with Hasselblad grips, there is no advantage to Hasselblad-only plates.

I have the 3043326 QR, as well as the older version(s), along with bodies that came with both base plates. All bodies are compatible with the older QR, but only the more recent bodies with the new base plates work with the newer version of QR (3043326).

If you cannot find a replacement foot for you body, you can probably make it work by adding a spacer between the Hasselblad foot plate and the body, but you will need longer screws.

From a practical point of view, the old QR holds the bodies just as well, are smaller with a lower profile (as is the foot), which I prefer for field work. The main advantage with the newer QR is the entry point is a little wider, and you do not have to be as precise when sliding the foot into the QR. And it has bubble levels.

Another option you might consider is the Arca Swiss version, which has more options. You can get a QR that works similar to the Hasselblad version, and a replaceable foot is available for most bodies. The Arca Swiss foot is even taller and wider than the Hasselblad version, which does change the ergonomics of the body a bit. However, your tripod+QR is now compatible with a wider range of other devices/cameras.

"Manfred, there is a design problem with that camera...every time you drop it that pin breaks"

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...