Can You rate my new, personal website?

dagmar_r

<p>The style is a bit overcooked. It looks much like the style of Geocities personal pages circa 1998. The web, as a whole, has grown more refined since then. However, since this is a personal webpage, and you're not running a business out of it, this hardly matters.</p>

<p>If I were to make any improvements, however, it would be to first ditch the widespread use of flash. Running an entire website on flash is tedious and difficult for the viewer. It takes an extra long time to load all the application coding, and doesn't work well with on-board graphics engines, which most people use. Hence, the website could be simplified by switching everything back over to HTML, like normal. The style could be improved by toning down the use of obnoxious backgrounds and embossed buttons. A much more pleasant style of button includes readable words without distracting graphic elements. Take a minute to browse around various websites, and you'll notice that noone is using embossed letter buttons anymore.</p>

<p>You could incorporate flash apps, of course, but should only do so to perform functions that cannot otherwise be performed easily with HTML. Mouseovers don't count, but you could do full-blown slideshows and resizeable images using flash.</p>

<p>I didn't get any music at all (thankfully). What do you want the site to accomplish for you Dagmar? Or what do you want to accomplish with it? <br /> <br /> I agree with Hal on the embossed images, they really are quite horrible.<br /> <br /> In Firefox the site opens up a new window for everything I click and that gets irritating very fast. It also makes it hard for people to navigate the site back and forth. You want visitors to stay for as long as possible and one important aspect of that is to make the site as welcoming and accommodating as possible.<br /> <br /> Think about what you want to achieve with the site, then think about how you will go about to make that happen.</p>

<p> Well, even though I did request a critique, I do NOT share your opinions, guys. I have NOT used that much of Flash as Hal had stated. I know people whose WHOLE website are made in Flash and they do load up pretty fast.<br>

Also, come on, guys, who uses Firefox these days? Firefox by itself is terrible.<br>

So, thanks for your comments, but I will keep my website as it is and the music I might change. For a louder one! LOL.<br>

Dagmar</p>

<p>Hey there Dagmar,<br>

I have to say I like the music in the beginning because it's so vivacious and lively. Your pictures show a lot of talent as well, but your web design doesn't show off your true potential. In my IE 8 browser, I had to scroll to the right to see all of your wonderful picture which was a little annoying. The color you chose as a background was rather plain and I don't see you as a plain personality at all. I say feel free to show off your creativity.<br>

I can't wait to see what improvements you might make in the future.</p>

<p>Im going to say what everyone is thinking. This website is absolutely horrible. I thought this post was a joke when I first opened the webpage. Dagmar, if you are not joking and really do want to draw people in to view your creativity and enjoy your style, then you've got to change your style. Sorry, but thats the hard truth. It looks like something that was created in the 70's and left untouched until now. Please take this as constructive criticism -- revamp then entire site</p>

• 4 weeks later...

<p>I kinda like the retro feel of it. The person who said early geocities website was more or less spot on. Assuming good faith in the feedback request then if that's the feel the poster is looking for it serves well - personal site for an extroverted person who wants to be remembered.<br>

I doesn't fit the modern expectations of a professional (or even amateur who is well versed in the current design patterns and idioms) web site - but who's to to say that's a bad thing.<br>

As with all really individual things some people will be harsh - some will love it. The site isn't going to get any "middle ground" opinion though.</p>