Can You Please Share Your D700 / D3 High ISO Shots At Full Res?

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by whoz_the_man_huh, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Hi,
    I've seen dozens of impressive samples in marketing booklets and online at reduced web-sized resolutions, but I refuse to be convinced by anything other than full scale specimens by real photographers. Please share your works of wonder at ISO 3200 or 6400.
    Zero Noise Reduction and zero post work would be awesome. And 100% crops are nice but nothing tells the truth like the whole enchilada, yeah?
    Thanks,
    Cal

2. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

3. Wow. Is it me or is there nothing special about the D3X's high ISO?

4. Most of the photos on my website (customized SmugMug) were shot with the D700. You can select a of a number of different sizes for viewing. I upload full resolution JPEGs to the site, and the site scales them down depending on the size that you select for viewing. The images are right-click disabled, however, so you can't download them to your computer. Sorry.

5. Thanks, Joseph.
    Any chance you can post full-sized stuff? I'm not sure how much is lost in resizing down to web-friendly proportions. Also did you use NR?

6. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

The very fact that you can view an image means it is already downloaded onto your computer. Disabling right click is meaningless; it only blocks those who are very unfamiliar with computers.

7. ASA 3200, f/1.4 maybe
    00Td1P-143213584.jpg

8. Thanks, Dan.
    I visited your site but unfortunately I have no idea which images were shot at which ISO. I'd be curious about whether you turned on NR as well. Would you be able to clarify at all?

9. there's a been a little post pro on mine, but nothing significant. I don't use the in-camera NR.
    I work full time as a newspaper photog and constantly am using 3200 and 6400 asa, even upwards of Hi-1.
    Flawless.

10. That's the D3 you have, right, Nic?
    Do you use Capture NX's NR? Also I'm starting to sound like a broken record here, but any chance you can post full res?

11. D700, same sensor
    At the office, I used CS3, at home I use Lightroom at first, then CS3.
    I typically prefer to shoot 1600 or below and shoot at f/2.8 or faster in order to isolate my subjects.
    Honestly, I don't use much of the NR software on either program.
    Here are 3 full size files, straight from camera. ASA's 3200 and 6400.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v15/neontokyo/NIC_6380.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v15/neontokyo/NIC_6351.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v15/neontokyo/NIC_6308.jpg

12. Check Flckr using their image tags. Occasionally people with Flckr Pro accounts will upload full resolution sample photos. So does dpreview.
    Photo.net's discussion forums don't lend themselves well to hosting maximum resolution files, especially in raw or TIFF format. That's best done on one's own personal website or other file hosting service.

13. Thanks, Nic.
    The three images look spectacular in low res. I guess photobucket.com resizes your photos automatically when you upload them. Too bad.

14. yeah. I've made cover shots on our paper (~12x17") at 6400, granted it is newsprint...
    Also, Sports Illustrated had made cover shots at 6400 of that college football game last year from a D3.

15. True, Lex. I was just hoping for some links to robust webspace.

16. Thanks, Dan.
    I visited your site but unfortunately I have no idea which images were shot at which ISO. I'd be curious about whether you turned on NR as well. Would you be able to clarify at all?​
    Hi Calvin,
    If you'll drop me an email, I can send you more details about specific images. All photos currently displayed were taken with either a D200 or a D700. The D200 photos were taken at ISO 100 - 400. The D700 photos were shot between ISO 200 and ISO 1600. Nothing posted on the site was shot at a higher ISO than 1600. I didn't use noise reduction on any of these pix.
    The Big Daddy's Diner photo and the Strand Bookstore photo were shot at ISO 1600.
    My email address is listed on the website. Thanks!

17. Much appreciated, Dan.

18. Here is one at 6400
    00TdJA-143377784.jpg

19. On the D3
    The D3 is unbeatable at high iso's. It may be hard to believe but I have many examples. Even stunning performance at moderately high iso's like 2000 or 1600.
    00TdJQ-143379684.jpg

20. ISO 3200 with D700[​IMG]

21. Posted previously on the Wednesday thread:
    00TdPp-143445584.jpg

22. Calvin, If you want to be convinced, I suggest you go rent a D700 or D3 body for a day and shoot. And compare the results to whatever else you are doing/using.

23. Thanks, Shal.
    Anything larger or 100% cropped?

24. Same question, Terry.

25. Very nice, Robert.
    Can I assume that is NR-less?

26. Calvin, I really hate to say this, but seriously, you're pixel peeping for 200%, because 100% crop isn't enough? Really?
    Both cameras are going to perform great upwards of Hi-1. With the number of professionals using both cameras, I can safely say it will be good enough for you at high ISOs.
    My two cents..

27. Good tip, Steven. I'd love to take the D3 out for a spin if it's not too costly.

28. Thanks, Nic.
    I'm not actually looking for 200%. You may have read my request "Anything larger or 100% cropped?" as "Anything larger than 100% cropped?"
    I've been known to pixel peep, but this is not one of those times. Heh.

29. I rented a D700 and took it to the E3 2009 video game show in Los Angeles last week to try out its high ISO capability. Overall I was impressed, 6400 was a touch noisier than I was hoping for but it's amazing that it's usable at all, since my previous camera ran out of steam at 1600.
    You can see my photo/text essay here: http://www.wingedmammal.com/e3_2009/e3_2009.shtml
    The EXIF info is at the bottom right of each non-thumbnail page, most but not all the pictures are with the D700 and 70-200 2.8 lens using ISO 3200 or 6400. I uploaded one full-res ISO 6400 shot with minimal processing. (just opened in ACR with defaults, then saved as 90% quality JPG) : http://www.wingedmammal.com/action_photos_2009/DSC_8205-full-res.jpg

30. Bottom line, if you're an old guy like me who shot Fuji Press 400 by the case but avoided Press 800 because of the golfball sized grain, then you went out and got a D2-X and had baically the same experience as with film -- the D-3/D-700 is a revelation. It feels dirty to just leave the camera on ISO 800 or 1600 but the images look as good as my D-2X did at ISO 200.

31. Brent, that's exactly what I was looking for.
    The image looks like something the D300 would produce at ISO 3200. Which is pretty much what I expected. Thanks again.

32. Thanks, Rob.

33. Bottom line, if you're an old guy like me who shot Fuji Press 400 by the case but avoided Press 800 because of the golfball sized grain, then you went out and got a D2-X and had baically the same experience as with film -- the D-3/D-700 is a revelation. It feels dirty to just leave the camera on ISO 800 or 1600 but the images look as good as my D-2X did at ISO 200.​
    My sentiments exactly, Rob! When you compare the D3/D700 to any previous technology (film or digital) you realize how revolutionary this sensor is and how big a step forward Nikon took in a single generation (i.e. since the D2X/D200 era). Is it perfect? Not quite. Is it astonishing? You bet!