Can you help a newbie?

I found this forum by searching on Brownie Starflex Camera on Google.

I inheireted my father's Brownie camera. It has all kinds of goodies

with it like lenses and filters and such. I have no idea how to use it

and if I can get film for it. I don't even know if it works. It looks

like it hasn't been touched since he used it in Viet Nam. It still had

his Vietnamese dictionary and some letters from my grandma in the

case. When he died in 1971, I think my grandmother put it up in a

closet and never touched it. Where do I start in learning how to use it?

Beth,

The Starflex is a 127 roll film type camera. The operation of this camera is fairly easy. If you got to this forum via The Brownie Camera Page then all you need to do is go back to the Brownie Page and click on the list of Brownie cameras. When the list pops up you scroll down to Starflex, click on it and you will get the basic info on that camera. There is also a link to a downloadable (if that's a word!) copy of the instruction manual. 127 film is still available. I recommend trying camera shops in your area. If that doesn't work go to www.frugalphotographer.com. They carry black and white 127 for less than $5 a roll. For color try B & H Photo. B & H has a bizarre web address so if you want it send me an e-mail and I'll forward the link (or you could do a yahoo search for B & H Photo in NYC). For developing I recommend Main Photo in California. Their web address is mainphoto.com, no www. As you can see the internet has really created a great deal of options for those of us who are into strange hobbies like taking photographs with old cameras. If you need anything else, just ask and I'd be glad to help. I think that using a camera with such a significant personal history is a very special opportunity. Have fun.

John