Can vuescan batch scan and create seperate files?...

<p>Hello Photo.net'ers.</p>

<p>I have an Epson 4990 and v700. Both of which I plan to use in batch scanning 35mm negs (24 at time).<br>

I plan to batch scan the "everyday" snap shots, family pics, vacations pics, etc. <br>

I also have a Coolscan V for the "good" negatives in which I wish to extract a bit more detail.<br>

So....I understand the flatbed vs. dedicated scanner issue. Epsonscan does a wonderful job<br>

scanning 24 negatives at a time and creates 24 individual jpegs or tiffs. I have searched photo.net (and<br>

googled the web) to see if Vuescan can do the same and I think the answer is "no"...unless you<br>

input the x any y offsets to tell vuescan were each individual negative is. This seems too clunky.<br>

But, you would only need to calculate these offsets one time. My question is: Does the latest version<br>

of vuescan do this automatically like Epsonscan? Will it scan all 24 negatives and create an individual file<br>

for each? Thanks in advance. BTW. I know many will disagree but I have been doing alot of test scans<br>

and must say I am impressed with the Epson 4990 and v700 VS. the Nikon coolscan V. The Nikon<br>

beats them both but the flatbeds can do a very nice job with a good negative. No arrows please.</p>

<p>I don't have any of your scanners but I do have Vuescan. It can batch scan and create separate files. The download to try it is just over 4mb. It can create Jpegs, Tiffs, or RAW files (I don't recall what the actual format is but there's allegedly more information there).When you first set up you would want to set the coordinates, but that's as simple as clicking and dragging a box over the negs in the preview, you can also resize the box at that time as well. I've found that once you get the first frame in a row set right most of the other ones are already set right.</p>

<p>I'd say download it and give it a try. It won't take too long for you to figure out if it's any better than what you have and the only thing you'd be out is some time for testing. It does take a little getting used too (I'm used to Microteks Scanwizard) but once you do it's pretty slick. I think it's worth the money to buy it IMO.</p>

<p>Dan</p>

<p>I would suggest that if you feel now that the flatbed results don't quite measure up to the Coolscan V results, that sooner or later you will be re-scanning those slides. That's what I've ended up doing, anyhow, and I've settled on Vuescan's Auto scan option, with auto saves as 16-bit TIFF as well as DNG. Simply pulling out a scanned slide and inserting the new one starts the automatic scan and save operation. I happen to have my "old" computer set up for various digitizing chores, so as i work on the primary computer, or am just wandering around doing other chores, I'll pop a new slide in every so often. Quite soon that batch of slides has been scanned to a folder on a USB drive, from which i will later process the slides in Lightroom and load the selects up to my photo sharing site.<br>

I realize this does not answer your question directly, but hope it helps if you want to consider an alternative approach.</p>

<p>Oh - negatives. Sorry, August - next time I'll try actually reading the question before answering it!</p>

<p>I haven't used the Auto Scan feature of Viewscan for negative strips with my Coolscan V - but it might work the same way - once you set up Viewscan with the frame spacing.</p>

<p>Yes, Vuescan saves the scanned files with unique file name while scanning in batch scan mode. I usually batch scan of every frame of my negative strip. You have to describe the file-name with + signn in the end, for example "Kodak400-2009-04-06-01+.jpg", where + sign will automatically increament in last digit, which is 01 here. You should confirm that "Auto File Name" is checked in the output tab. Here is a image of Vuescan options attached :</p>

<p>Yes, Vuescan saves the scanned files with unique file name while scanning in batch scan mode. I usually batch scan of every frame of my negative strip. You have to describe the file-name with + sign in the end, for example "Kodak400-2009-04-06-01+.jpg", where + sign will automatically increment in last digit, which is 01 here. You should confirm that "Auto File Name" is checked in the output tab. Here is a image of Vuescan options attached :</p><div>00SzY2-122659584.jpg.f14693128778abcc1bb6dd5c880623b1.jpg</div>

<p>Similar to the "+" symbol described above, when doing scan-from-disk a "=" suffix in the file name designation will make the output file number suffix match the raw file number suffix.</p>

<p>There's another one you can do, with scan-from-disk, using "*" (wild card), to process all files and match suffix numeral. I use it so infrequently I forget how it works.</p>

<p>BTW, in the helpfile, just check out the "output tab" section. The tab sections in the helpfile exhaustively list all the possibilities. The descriptions are terse in the extreme, but it's all there.</p>

<p>Many thanks to all that have answered! I appreciate all the input. I need to sit down<br>

and experiment a bit more with epsonscan, vuescan and the coolscan. Thanks again!</p>