Can the old f f-1 (1st version) use the laser focusing screen?

kevin h. y. lui.

<p>No,the focusing screens from the F1N (electronic) will not work in the F1 (mechanical) body.Canon did release a series of laser matte screens (the screen type in designated with a "L")for the early model around 1980 but they are a somewhat rare find these days.That body was already out of production when they were released but Canon must of thought they were a major breakthrough that should be tested and offered for the numerous owners of the early models.Imagine something happening like that in today's market!!!I own a few and they are a almost as bright as the ones that came standard issue in the F1N. </p>

<p>Kevin, I can second Douglas' recommendation for the "L" screens made for the mechanical F-1's. I had to be patient over a period of 4-5 years but I got L's in the B, D, E, and G screens and use them often with complete satisfaction. IMO, if you like the old F-1, the L screens are worth the time and expense to find them.</p>

<p>Don B in Hampton Roads</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I have L screes for my F-1 and F-1n cameras. The F-1n is supposed to have a slightly brighter mirror than the F-1. With an L E screen in my F-1n the finder looks just about as bright as the PE screen in an F-1N. The L D is my favorite screen and the one I use the most.</p>

<p>Kevin, I should have also told you about a danger in buying Old F-1 screens through EBay. As Mark says, every 'L' screen is identified with the letter L plus the letter showing the type screen printed on the actual screen itself. I've bought 6-7 screens through EBay and I found several screens misidentified by the seller. Twice I've bought screens with the only auction picture being the box not the actual screen showing the Canon designation. After I bought them I found the screen inside the box did not match the outside of the box. I think the older F-1s originally came with an 'A' screen and the owner later bought a different screen, removed the 'A' to install the new screen then put the "A' screen in the new screen box for protected storage. For example, I bought an advertised 'B' screen but the box contained an 'A' screen. I did this twice (I'm a slow learner - lol). I have an iron-clad rule now -- I don't buy screens without seeing a picture of the actual screen itself. No more mistakes. I notice KEH and Kevin both have one 'L' screen each for sale right now. I think their inventory changes frequently. </p>

<p>Don B in Hampton Roads</p>

<p> </p>