Can the Canon Flashes be used on a Sony A7III

tcphoto756

In general, flash units can be used on a Sony if they have a center contact in the foot. You will not have TTL control, but auto exposure based on a sensor in the flash itself will work.

If you need a flash, Sony flash units are highly automated, better IMO than Nikon (and Nikon is better than Canon). I held off for over a year, because the dynamic range and sensitivity of the Sony is so good, flash is seldom needed. Flash is good to have for outdoor events on a clear day with spotty shade.

I think Canon speedlites are only capable of auto-aperture mode when mounted on a Canon camera. That means you'll be stuck with manual mode only.

Nothing wrong with that as long as you're prepared to experiment with the exposure a little.

I've used many different flashes and flash triggers on my little Sony a6000. They all work perfectly, as long as you check that the hotshoe foot is pushed fully forward in Sony's unique (read crazy) accessory shoe.

If you only want on-camera flash, and given the ludicrously high price of Sony flashes, I'd look for something else that was capable of AA mode using a sensor built into the flash. IME this is just as accurate and consistent as any TTL system. But of course it requires that you manually transfer the lens aperture and ISO settings to the flash.

Most of Nikon's film era speedlights have AA mode, and are available used at very reasonable prices. IMO the SB-25 is probably Nikon's most versatile flash for use on non-Nikon cameras. AA mode has fallen out of favour with modern manufacturers, and consequently the used market provides the widest choice.

Edited by rodeo_joe|1

Metz makes excellent flashes, and control modules can be swapped if you want automation with different camera brands.

Really?

That used to be the case with the old SCA300 and 3000 adapters, but they didn't give full flash automation with digital cameras. I'm pretty sure there isn't a Sony SCA module.

Metz did indeed make flashes with superb build quality. However the most recent one I examined felt very lightweight and flimsy. The price barely offered any saving over a camera marque flash either.

I use an Olympus FL-36 flash on my Sony A7 camera. The flash has its own sensor and exposures are correct if both devices are set to the same ISO and aperture. My kit was unusable for some days as the flash got locked on the camera. The culprit was the pin which extends downwards from the foot of the flash. On searching the Internet for a means of getting the flash off, I found that this happens with all brands which have adopted the faulty design.

I use an Olympus FL-36 flash on my Sony A7 camera. The flash has its own sensor and exposures are correct if both devices are set to the same ISO and aperture. My kit was unusable for some days as the flash got locked on the camera. The culprit was the pin which extends downwards from the foot of the flash. On searching the Internet for a means of getting the flash off, I found that this happens with all brands which have adopted the faulty design.

- The locking pin can easily get bent and jammed if you attempt to pull the flash off without fully unscrewing the foot lock. This can happen on a matching flash/camera as well. The solution is to fully unscrew the locking nut and gently wiggle the flash until the pin disengages. Turning the rig upside down for gravity assistance might help.

Nikon uses a locking pin in its flash fit, and Sony uses two. They are intended to provide precise alignment for flash automation contacts. The feet also clamp on the flash shoe flanges for retention. In both cases they are spring loaded, so the flash can be used on other cameras with ISO flash shoes. Who is responsible if attaching an Olympus flash to a Sony camera causes problems? Certainly not the Olympus engineers.

It is one thing to issue a warning to others, and quite another to blame the "faulty" design.

I said that the locking pin problem occurred in "all brands which have adopted the faulty design". There is not even a suggestion here that Olympus were responsible for the design.

I had to waste time searching again for "locking pin flash foot" and "flash stuck on camera". Here are a few of the results which came up.

Flash stuck on foot stand | Strobist.com | Flickr -- Canon flash -- 2009

580ex locking pin -- Canon flash -- 2010

What can I do when a flash is stuck on my Nikon DSLR? -- Sunpak flash -- 2004

Metz 58-AF 2 - A cautionary tail -- Metz flash -- 2012

These words appear in the last link: "This is my second 58 AF, I had the mark 1 before which had a plastic foot and was known for problems with the locking pin. I had assumed with the improvements to the MkII they had also fixed the weakness in the design of the locking pin..."

SB28 speedlight is stuck on my N90s. How to seperate it..??

My flash doesnt want to go off camera! Its stuck! HELP! -- Nikon flash -- 2007

See posts by TomBrooklyn and Wortleberry.

Of the millions of flash units with locking pins, a handful were reported as faulty. I'm impressed.

The Sony flash for my A7Riii and A9 has dual locking pins, which slide out of the way with moderate resistance, even if the flash foot remains locked. In nearly 20 years, I experienced no problems with Nikon flash units either. Could you have an environmental problem?

While relatively few users have had this trouble with Nikon flashes -- or with flashes from other makers -- there is evidence that several makers' flashes with a certain kind of locking pin have become stuck to cameras.

The same thing does not ordinarily occur in different parts of the world because of an "environmental problem" because the environment is not the same all over the globe. The stuck flash-gun phenomenon has involved flash-guns with locking pins of the same kind. Design, not environment.

Your Sony flash -- described twice -- does not fit in this discussion.

Really?

That used to be the case with the old SCA300 and 3000 adapters, but they didn't give full flash automation with digital cameras. I'm pretty sure there isn't a Sony SCA module.

Metz did indeed make flashes with superb build quality. However the most recent one I examined felt very lightweight and flimsy. The price barely offered any saving over a camera marque flash either.

Metz makes flashes at multiple price points, so some may well feel flimsy. And many of the older units are inexpensive and they still work well. I personally don't care about all of the automation, but that's because I shoot multiple formats, so I like to work with the same methods across formats. YMMV.

FYI - Metz does make modules for Sony flash. It looks as if they cover to the A7 II. Likely an updated module will soon cover the A7 III. Flash Unit Recommendations: Metz

The Auto function built into the Metz flash units works well if you need to shoot on the fly. Or you can buy proprietary technology and drop $$$ to buy several flash heads.

Edited by bobbudding

Your Sony flash -- described twice -- does not fit in this discussion.

Sorry, but that decision is above your pay grade. Besides, you brought up the issue of locking pins in general.

When it comes down to compatibility, your best choice is a flash designed specifically for the camera, whether Nikon, Canon or Sony.