Can someone look at this and tell me if it's too dark on your screen.

This image looks good on my screen and very dark on a different screen. Can you tell me how this image looks to

you.

On my screen the darkest areas are at about 12 to 18 RGB. I fixed 6 of these Gorila pictures and all of them seem

dark on this other screen. What bothers me the most is that I recntly got the Eye 1 to calibrate my monitor and I still

seem to come up with dark pictures.

Thanks for your comments

Alex

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've recorded your main subject (the gorilla) in rim lighting, meaning almost completely backlit. Throwing in some light

with a high output fill flash or reflector would've helped. This is a tough lighting situation to photograph well. RAW might

have helped some, but fill light was still needed.

on a calibrated NEC 2490 in Firefox 2.0 and Safari, the image is not too dark.

To me it appears that the gorilla is actually lacking true black (like Ronald M said : it looks like you increased the overall brightness of the image) which would lessen the black values.

The dark areas I see are the ear, right chin and below tricep and leg crease. the ear oddly looks like they are PP edits.

Also looked on my macbook pro and it looks the same as I describe above.

hth

ed

I'd give the file edit a shot.

OK, so you exposed to the right, but that only means that the highlights (i.e. the gorilla's arse and the grass on the right) are on the right of the histogram. The rest of the gorilla is basically backlit and in the shade, and is too dark if what you want to show is the gorilla's features. However, the picture does clearly show a gorilla chilling out in the sun and trying to keep its head in the shade so perhaps it doesn't matter. Depends on what you wanted to achieve.

on my every month calibrated nec 2690wuxi, calibrated at 2.2 and 6500 with a eye1 display pro the file look waayyyyyy too dark, not printable for sure, i mean too dark where you should see some detail on his chest..now i can barely see it, so it will not be printable.

and believe me, i can trust my monitor. And it also look like the image was dark to start with and you use a tool to get some details back..that why its seem not to be real black.

Here we go again... Chances are your monitor is set way to bright, causing you to edit your images too dark. Your monitor brightness should match the brightness of your digital darkroom lighting. Compare a totally white image on your monitor (all R, G, B values at 255) with a blank piece of printing paper illuminated by your digital darkroom lighting. Adjust your monitor and/or lighting if there is a mismatch. Don't use dimmers for your lights as they cause a dramatic change in color temperature.

Don't know if this is any good, but just brought the "brightness" down a very small touch to get rid of the blown highlights, the clipped the dark end of the histogram to get some proper black back and did a histogram adjustment curve to boost mid darks and cut the lights, followed by a very slight boost in saturation to get back the colour in the grass. Saved as sRGB. I think it's ok.

Thanks a million for the great feed back. Here is the raw file so you can see what is shoot. I like the get the best of it since it is the one I like the most. He seem so relaxed it looks like he is posing.

I believe I went heavy handed.

Again thanks for your time and efforts with this picture.

How do you upload a raw file. I just tried 2 times and it does not seem to work out.

I wrote on the answer box what you can see on the previous 2 postings, Clicked submit, then confirm and then I

clicked on browse look up the file, name it and from there it does not seem to upload. I get some windows vista

connection problem.