Can someone explain this gibberish? HELP !

diwan_bhathal

I was browsing the auction site and I found a "new" lens for sale with

a "Stellar" name.

The problem is that I could not understand all the gibberish in the

description. I read and read again, and again and again I could not figure

out what I was reading.

Among all the nonsense, I thought that this one was the "summum" of gibberish.

This is part of a description for a lens:

"when we tested the lens wide open focused on infinity the trees which were 60

ft away from us were a total blur. this is good news for landscape

photographers as well as we have expanded one of the variables and and

further collapsed the dof scale inverting it."

Well, maybe this is a good lens to purchase for photographers that have the

same ailment as I have, cannot see anything without my glasses, cannot see

anything with them...

This lens is fantastic because, for someone like me, who sees blurry trees at

60ft distance without my glasses, the lens will make me feel more comfortable

regarding my eyesight.

---Nevertheless... If I remove my glasses, focus on trees at 60ft (imagine

result)with this lens that blurs anything at a distance--- Will my negative

be blurry then at 30ft???

I request HELP in deciphering the properties of this lens. Is the blur

cumulative. Is this a lens that produces clear BOKEH ?

I am baffled by the properties of this device. Also, to everyone's advantage,

it has a mechanism for increased blur, that is, the inversion of DOF. As I

understand, this is done by not knowing exactly what the full open aperture of

the lens is, possibly f/3.5 or maybe f/4.0.

Hmmmm... I think that I will get myself a LENSBABY instead.

<em>"... when we tested the lens wide open focused on infinity the trees which

were 60 ft away from us were a total blur..."</em>

<p>Sounds like it just needs a little focusing fluid. Did the ad say anything about the shutter? I understand some of the older Compurs would leak.

It is a well known fact that if you make a lens from rare earth pancakes the angle subtended by any quadrangulated inframedian tends to infinty, thus inverting the dof locally to the hyperbolic diffractor. That's also why the aperture is indeterminate and has to be estimated using five-dimensional Lagrangian obloids. It's really very simple.

Helen:

your point has been extremely well taken and is fully explanatory of the superlative properties of this optical material as well as the corrective optical design provided by quadrangulative and formula calculations applied to a breakthrough design that is in a conversational stage now pending evaluation by experts in the field

My question to you is:

If the properties of the reversed DOF for this lens coupled to its astonishing capability to provide blur at a distance of 60ft are verified, WHY would you use this lens in a full PARALLAX COMPENSATED and FOCUS CORRECTED camera? The intent of this lens is to produce blurry photos from the near image field to infinity.

Can a camera that has reversed DOF see what is BEHIND the photographer. Clearly, if this reversed DOF is true, then we have a Nobel Prize candidate for an award in Negative Field Phyics. This will be like having a camera that emits light instead of capturing it!

If the above is proven to be true, then we are entering a new era in which the LF photographer will have to focus using the lens as a GG instead of the current practice.

Blur is still blur... Unless we consider the magical properties of the BOKEH of this lens that overrides the fact that it is installed in a multi-leaf shutter mechanism.

I am PERPLEXED.

Still, I think that a LENSBABY will more useful, since it will allow full control of selective BLUR towards the edges or center as required by the SYNERGY emanated by this combination.

OTOH, I still contend that vibration stabilization of the camera to which this lens is mounted will definitely ENHANCE the purity of the built-in blur, especially if one is using long exposures.

Thank you,

"when we tested the lens wide open focused on infinity the trees which were 60 ft away from us were a total blur. this is good news for landscape photographers as well as we have expanded one of the variables and and further collapsed the dof scale inverting it"

I translate this as:

"When we thought we had this focused at infinity, it was actually focused well beyond infinity, and while inherent depth of field brought infinity into okay focus, it didn't do the same for trees at 60', which gave the effect of reduced depth-of-field compared to normal expectations."

Do you have an item number for this, by the way? I'm curious.

"THIS AUCTION IS A CHANCE TO PARTICIPATE IN THE EVALUATION OF THE LENS PREVIOUS TO IT BEING MADE COMMERCIALLY AVAILABLE NEXT MONTH.

the lense shall be made available to qualified biders for a period of 24hs.

REQUIREMENTS

You must be located in NYC...."

& must give your photos to Littman. I'd value that opportunity at upwards of a nickel, if only I lived in NYC.

He'd get a lot more interest if he just bothered to explain how the lens really works, or if it does anything different from any other lens.

<b>Bart F</b><i> I can't be sure, but it seems to be a relatively fast (f3.5-f4) 150mm lens that covers 4x5.

That's some wacky language, but I'd sure like a modern f3.5 lens for a 4x5. </i><p>

Hello, Bart. If you can use a lens that hasn't a huge amount of extra coverage, the Zeiss Planar 135mm F3.5 is very good. It will still allow you to photograph a two, possibly a three story building from across the street with adequate rise.. but no more. Very sharp. Very bright.