Can I use Canon teleconverter for Nikon lenses?

jack_lam1

<p >I have a Nikon 80-200 2.8 lens that I want to use on a Canon 5D Mark II for video shooting.<br>

What type of teleconverter should I get - one that is made for Nikon or Canon? Does it matter at all?<br>

In another word, option 1:<br />Nikon Lens > Nikon TC > Nikon-to-Canon adapter > Canon Body<br>

Option 2:<br />Nikon Lens > Nikon-to-Canon adapter > Canon TC > Canon Body<br>

I figure option 1 is safer because a Nikon-specific TC is optimized for the flange depth of Nikon lenses. But for convenience sake, I'd rather go for option 2 because the adapter can always stay on the lens. I can use the Nikon lens as if it is a Canon one without fiddling with adapters on the field. I can also use this Canon TC for other Canon lenses.<br>

Is it going to work at all? Would I see more chromatic abbreviation or compromise image quality if my TC doesn't match the brand of my lens?</p>

<p >thx</p>

<p>Uh... no...</p>

<p>EDIT: Mean to say... this is just not wise, get the TC that works for your lens.</p>

<p>Using a lens like that on the body it's not designed for? Can't see why you'd do it. Canon's lenses are excellent, and they have stuff in that range that Nikon guys wish they had.</p>

<p>A lot of people like non Canon lenses for the 5dmkii when shooting video for 2 reasons: firstly the manual focus action is often better on older MF lenses, and secondly with EOS lenses you can't adjust the aperture while recording unless you use lenses with aperture rings on the lens (I think this is right!)<br>

As for whether to use Canon of Nikon TCs, that's a very good question. Both makers have good quality TCs and as for back-focus etc., if the adapter sets the right distance for the lens to work properly without the TC then it must be OK with it so I don't think it'd be an issue. I have used a Nikon TC14b and TC14E on Canon FD 300 2.8 and 500 4.5 lenses and it worked excellently.<br>

Steve</p>

<p>I'm not clear on what your Nikon lens is, but if it is a newer AF lens, then it really doesn't make much sense to try to use it on a Canon body.</p>

<p>If it's an old MF lens, then trying to use it will merely be inconvenient, awkward, and difficult.<br>

Adding a teleconverter merely increases the problems.</p>

<p>Get a Canon or some other lens that will work with the camera.</p>

<p>Mind, I use a number of Nikon lenses on a Canon 5D for still work, but these are nice old MF classics and the shooting is usually on a pretty relaxed pace. Video? I haven't tried it, but it doesn't sound good to me.</p>

<p>JDM, it's because you haven't used the video mode that you don't understand why he'd want to use Nikons on it - as I said above, there is reason to the seeming madness! There is a lot of interest in the Zeiss ZE lenses for the 5dmkii with video too - good optics, good MF operation and aperture rings on lenses.<br />Steve</p>

<p>Thx Steve for sharing your experience. I know most lens adapters are slightly thicker than specs to allow focusing slightly beyond infinity. That's a good thing because we don't know we have absolute infinity until we go pass it. But I wonder if it will play well with a TC in my case.<br>

<br /> Steve really knows the dilemma faced by today's video shooters. As much as I hope to stay with Canon lenses, the clutched design of their focus rings make them unsuitable for proper focus pulling. Canon EOS lenses are simply no good for cine-style shooting. (Not to mention, I want my lens kit to be compatible with the GH1 too. The lack of aperture ring on Canon lenses disqualify them.)<br>

<br /> Nikon lenses are not ideal either. They focus in the wrong direction. But at least the focus ring doesn't have the clutch that spins beyond infinity and I can mark my distance scale.....<br /> So, anyone else has relevant experience to share?</p>

<p>Ok, ok.I'm trying to learn here.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>clutched design of their focus rings make them unsuitable for proper focus pulling</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Does this apply to the USM models with full-time manual focusing?</p>

<p>Yes, obviously as they're designed for primarily autofocus the manual focus side of things tends to take a back seat. The focus rings tend to be small and fiddly, the action is very loose with little damping and the focus throw tends to be very short. Older MF lenses tend to be a lot better in most of these respects, and better still, obviously, are lenses designed for movie cameras (like Zeiss superspeeds, Cooke S4s, Optimo, RED lenses), and to a lesser extent video lenses (like Canon and Fujinon broadcast lenses).<br>

I have to admit that I'm not an expert with the 5D, I am a cameraman but tend to use broadcast cameras from Panasonic and Sony and film cameras from Arriflex and Aaton, but a lot of the principle are the same as with the 5D.<br>

Steve</p>

<p>Should not be a problem fitting the 80-200/2.8 to a Canon TC via the adapter. I have not actually tried it though and my only concern is that Canon TCs may have a slightly more protruding front element. My Nikon 80-200 appears to have as much room inside the barrel as my previous Canon supertelephotos. However a used Nikon TC-14B is under $100 and a used Canon 1.4x is close to $300. By the way you don't need a Nikon autofocus converter for your lens when using it in manual on a Canon body anyway.</p>

<p>Is the Nikkor a MF lens? (still not clear on that, I don't know the current Nikon line-up). If not, why not get a pre AF Nikkor for the job?<br /> If you're adapting a lens made to be MF, you have a lot more choices than Nikon, although they are admittedly some of the best. For just one example, there are primes like the Sonnar 180mm f/2.8 (originally called the Olympia since its ancestor was designed for the 1936 Olympics in Berlin).<br /> As the OP asks, you can get any number of Nikon mount teleconverters to put directly on a Nikkor mount lens, and then adapt the whole thing to the Canon. There are some older makes like the Vivitar (long before it belonged to the people who run it now) that are optically quite good, usually 2X and sometimes 3X. How much better can a Canon converter be than one made for the Nikon?</p>