can I trust this memory card?

bikealps

<p>I have 4 SanDisk Ultra 16 GB 30 MB/s CF cards that I use as my main cards on my D3. Until now I have never had a failure.</p>

<p>I recently lost a days worth of shooting. I put it in a card reader attached to my laptop and tried to import into LightRoom. PC couldn't read it, said it was corrupted. I put it back into the camera. Camera could not read it. So I erased it and shot the next day.</p>

<p>Next day, I shot with this card and the images imported fine, except one image gave me a preview in LR but no image. Oh well. So I quarantined the card.</p>

<p>Didn't lose anything important... but... can I trust this memory card again? If I can, what;s the best way to reformat or clean it up?</p>

<p>thanks,</p>

<p>Allan</p>

<p>Check with SanDisk to be sure it's a legitimate product rather than a counterfeit, and whether they have any tech suggestions. My only experience with SanDisk tech support was very satisfactory - several years ago when one CF card became glitchy with one camera but behaved well with other compatible cameras.</p>

<p>What Lex said, it's worth asking Sandisk, their warranty is on the Extreme III, IV etc. is long enough :-) If I understand well, the other 3 CF cards are still fine? I'd for sure remove this card from my bag and stop using it. I would not loose trust yet in the other 3 cards, if they didn't give you any errors yet.<br>

If all 4 cards give errors, I'd start looking at the camera, though....</p>

<p>I would reformat the card in-camera, save the camera settings to the card, paint the card red and never use it for photographs again. And I wouldn't really want to depend on it to save my camera settings either.<br>

<br />Cards, like other electronics, are subject to aging. And my memory is not what it used to be as I age.</p>

<p>If you're just shooting stuff for fun around where you live, it's probably OK. If you're shooting weddings, NO WAY! Doesn't the D3 have dual slots? Apparently not. Checking to see if it's under warranty is a good idea.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>I have a SanDisk 4G card that is divided into two 2G halves. A few years ago, one half started acting up and had some trouble recording image files for a while and then it was ok. This problem went on for like 2 weeks (but fortunately I didn't trust it any more) and eventually that half of the card died. However, the other 2G is still fine today.</p>

<p>Most likely that card is deteriorating. How much is a 16G card today? Maybe $20? I wouldn't use it again.</p>

<p>The D3 uses dual CF cards. I would always put two card in there and use the backup mode.</p>

<p>Check with Sandisk. The only time I had a problem with a Sandisk labeled card was when I bought a fake on eBay. Called Sandisk, it was a fake card. Contacted the seller and he took the card back. Lesson learned? I only buy cards from B&H or Adorama, that way I know I'm getting a real Sandisk card. You may be experiencing a fake card!</p>