Can I still photograph in New York city

jose_t._milan

Hello,

I'm going to New York city from Spain and I'm taking my DSLR to the city I was wondering if I have to be carful

taking pictures to buildings??? Can I take pictures inside or only outside?

Last time I was there for I short visit in 2001 was in August and everyone was open, lots have change since then

and was wondering if still okay or what I have to be careful not take because of the authorities thinking

something funky is going on.

Thanks in advance for the tips.

No problems at all on several photographic visits to NYC with a Mamiya 7 and dslr. I did have the odd issue years ago with a Medium format slr plus tripod. This even extends to photography inside the major musems and public spaces like the parks, Grand central and so on. Its one of the easier cities to work in.

As for the Pocket Wizards - I'm thinking that the only difference between the US and European version is the frequency used. If that's the case, I don't think you'll have any problems - I think it's a safe bet that nobody's going to be checking whether your PWs are operating on the proper frequency, and nobody is going around NYC looking for rogue Pocket Wizards with special radio equipment.

Hi Jose,

Don't worry at all. I first went to NY Sept 2002, I have never had issues and that includes using 300mm f2.8 at JFK, I was just asked not to photo the police officers. I had a snowball fight with some police in central park as well! Great place very photogenic and I have been back many times since.

Have fun, Scott.

I live in NYC....absolutely no problem taking pics....but ditto about the tripod. It's actually more a safety issue rather than a photography issue with the tripod. You may get away with setting one up in a little corner area where no one actually walks, but that would be about it. At least then you could argue that you thought that as long as you didn'tblock public access, you were ok. but in the subways, a tripod is definitely out.

Now, that's not to say that the odd uninformed police officer or MTA cop won't hassle you about taking pics. Just answer politely and they almost always leave you alone then.

The NYC restriction on tripod use by individual photographers was lifted last month. The mayor's office says that there is no restriction on photography on public property. Unfortunately the police dept. may have a different attitude, but that is expected in a police state. Photograph freely, but if a police officer tells you to stop, listen to him.

New York is weird because the Mayor's Office is very sensitive and responsive to the political processes and has an extensive guide and free permit process in place and has had for a while but not all of the public employees are on board with the program. That's New York.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/film/html/news/070108_moftb_adopts_rules.shtml

Interior shots are subject to the control of the owner or of the property or public agency operating the facility.

Why do you need Pocket Wizard (PW) while visiting NY ?

One option would be to remotely trigger your camera, if you are affraid to shoot holding camera yourself ? - but most likely your camera with PW receiver will be stolen the minute you walk away farther than some 20 feet, perhaps. If you do this you could possibly be more of a "suspect" doing something unusual.

Second option would be if you bring external flashes to trigger them by PW. So, in this case you will need to consider voltage difference to power your equipment, and not frequency of the PW radio protocol signals. In most museums flash photography is not allowed, unless you made an arrangement and obtained permission.

For city walk you do not need flash, and certainly not PW. For night shots in the city, portable flashes have no range, unless some special effects you want to achieve.

If you take PW, (to use with something triggered remotely), make sure you have a companion to help you with and guard it.

No concerns at all. I live in the area and work in the city. I see loads of people photographing everything from people to

buildings to private/public spaces. I would be shocked to hear that any officer bothers you unless you're causing a traffic

or pedestrian interference. Worst case, they'll tell you to pack it up and move on.

No worries. Have fun and enjoy being in New York - it's a great city.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello people,

Great for the answers, I went and came from the great city of New York and I loved it...no problems taking pictures, had nice weather and most of all New York City is, as everybody knows, one of the greatest cities in the world, I went for only for 10 days and cant wait to go back again, but unfortunately is going to take some time...I'm from Spain and is kind of far away to go as much as I would like.

One thing that I liked a lot is the feeling of being safe, I had my camera all day and night out and no problems, and also taking the sub at night I thought would be a problem, but taking at night I also felt safe and with metro card was one of the greatest things to move around, found a good and clean hotel in Chelsea, the Leo House and really enjoyed the stay...the only problem was that my stay was to short.

Again thanks for all the tips.