Can I initialize scanner w/out rebooting computer? (XP Home, Minolta Dimage)

Is that self-explanatory?

If my computer is already running and I power up the scanner, is there a way

to avoid having to reboot the computer to have them chit-chat with each other?

In the old windows, there was a Refresh Hardware option in hardware manager.

Thanks.

Ward, With modern equipment, usually there's a device controller that can be loaded in the system tray. Double clicking on it will bring up a control panel where you can connect to it (sometimes right-clicking on it). If you don't have it, check with Minolta, or even reload the software.

XP with Dimage Scan Dual here. Don't use the scanner much any more. But I have always had to so a reboot when the scanner is powered on (XP). Tried the scan for new hardware trick (I think it used to work in Win2000 if I remember right). From What I searched on the web about this topic (quite a while ago) it depended on the SCSI controller if you could get it to work with the Scan for hardware changes trick. I beleive my SCSI card is a cheap Adaptec 15xx series card.

With all my scsi scanners on PC's I must turn on the scanner, then boot up the computer, whether they are 15 years old or 1 year old. The computer reads the scsi ID during boot, and sees it as a device. <BR><BR>Folks not booting their computers, not setting the USB/scsi switch, not terminating, multiple devices configured to use the same ID are the bulk, say 99 percent of scsi "help me" calls by field service operators. <BR><BR>