Can I handle a 600mm?

nick_davis

<p>I know this forum gets bombarded with "which lens should I buy" questions so I was reluctant to post this; but I need advice. Last week I was considering buying a 500mm f/4 P lens that BH had in their used dept. but I balked and now it is gone.<br>

I currently shoot birds and wildlife with a 300mm F/4 AF-S with TC17 and TC20 teleconverters. I can get sharp shots down to about 1/30s but I would love to have more speed so I can go back to ISO 100 film instead of 400, hence the temptation of the 500 f/4. I can spend at most $3k which is why I have been looking at MF lenses (my 300mm + converter requires manual focusing under most conditions so I am used to it. I have seen good condition 500mm P's and 600 AIS' for around this price.<br>

My questions are....<br>

1. Can my tripod/head handle the 600? I have a carbon fiber Gitzo 1548 with a kirk BH-1. (I also have the manfrotto gimbal type head)<br>

2. Is there a noticable difference in optical quality between the two? I would occasionally be using either of these with the TC17.</p>

<p>4.Given the above information, which would you recommend? I shoot mostly in manual with spot metering so the matrix compatibility is not so important. I usually carry two F4s' and an F100.<br>

I appreciate any advice I can get on this matter.<br>

-P.S. I am "youngish" and strong so the weight of the lenses is of little concern to me right now.<br>

Thank You</p>

<p>Well I can only offer my slightly off track experience. I have the 500mm f/4 Ai-P and under it are a Gitzo 1325 MkII with an RRS BH 55. This combo is plenty stable for the 500 lens & TC's with a D700+grip attached. Allowing that you have a larger tri-pod and your Kirk ballhead is the equivalent of the RRS BH 55 and that the 600mm Nikkor AiS comes in at close to double that weight I'd say you might be close to the limit of your support's capabilities with the load you suggest.<br />The 500mm f/4 Ai-P makes truly beutiful images as a stand alone lens - the TC 1.7 E does cause some aesthetic image loss. But as a seeker of imagery and cosmetics over absolute performance, I never hesitate to use the TC 1.7 on the 500mm if the need dictates. I rate the image quality losses as acceptable. The TC 1.4 is even better.......</p>

<p>As far as handling the 600mm plus supports, only you can deduce the answer to your question. All good images are worth fighting for, that includes lugging heavy loads. If you are willing more so than young like me, then I suggest you do everything in your power whilst you have the ability to do so. Use it or loose it etc.......</p>

<p>No noubt there someone will chime in with experiences of the exact combo you're looking at putting together.</p>

<p>If I read your post correctly, you shoot with film. Do you have considered to go digital? For instance a D300 will give you good quality at ISO 800, even 1600, plus a 1.5 crop factor which will result in more reach with your excellent AF-S 300. Combined with a TC 1.4 it will even do AF.</p>

<p>Yes I do shoot film. I bought a D70s back when they were first released. I didn't like it so I was back shooting film in less than a year. I considered getting a D300s since I can get one with a grip and SB900 for the price of one of those lenses. I just don't know if I will like the D300s since I didn't like the D70s. If my F100 was digital then I would be set; and I can't really make the stretch to afford the D700, which I hear is more like the F100 than any other D-SLR. </p>

<p>Nick, I shoot 2 D300's after shooting F4's and F5's for years. I still have the 600 F4 AIS and get great shots with it on the D300. In really bright light the 600 F4 does have some chromatic aberations which need to be removed in Photoshop but the high ISO performance of the D300 is well worth the change. I still have two F5's and one F4 but they sit on the shelf now. I also shoot the D300's with a 300 F4 AFS lens and love it. I especially like the crop factor of the D300 when shooting either the 300 or 600. That additional reach and the higher ISO capability sold me.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone for your replies. I have decided to hold off on the lens until I can get an AF-S model sometime in the future. For now I have decided, partly persuaded by all of your advice, to give digital another shot. I purchased a D700 w/ MB-D10 grip. I must say that it does feel a lot more like the F100 and F4s that I am used to, and I am having fun playing around with it. I am hoping for nice light tomorrow after work so I can go to the park and try it out on some of the Great Blue Heron that hang around there. Since there is still a roll of velvia in one of my F4s', I will be taking that as well so I should be able to get a side by side comparison. In fact, I still have unfinished rolls in 5 different bodies so I won't be switching back to digital "cold turkey".</p>