can F2 use F3 and F4's focusing screen?

karl_keung

'Most' of my F2 bodies could take the F3 screen without modification. Simply turn the F3 screen around so the 'lift tab' faces front. If it drops in cleanly, you're good to go.

One or two of my F2 bodies had a bit more 'interference' in the mechanism at the front of the well. For those bodies, I just filed off a bit of the F3 screen tab till it fit.

I took a run at swapping screen frames; it's doable, but my way is easier.

I have always thought the F4 screen was entirely different, but I recall at least one anecdote indicating that with frame swaps it could be done.

Hi, Karl. I think no.

The F2 can use the focusing screen of the Nikon F and the Nikon F can use the focusing screen of the Nikon F2: see www.cameraquest.com ("classic camera" section) for more info.

If you desire to use a brighter focusing screen on the Nikon F2, see the catalogue of the Beattie company: their focusing screen are denominated "Intenscreen". See Beattie on Google. The Intenscreen are very good product.

Ciao

Vincenzo Maielli

The F3 screens aren't that much brighter than the F2 screens that it makes much of a difference. The F4 screens are a lot brighter. If you have a little set of jewelers screwdrivers and aren't all thumbs it's easy to put the F4 screen into the F2 frame. Just handle the screen gingerly with a clean lens cleaning cloth because it scratches very easily. The best ones for an F2 are the ones with some kind of focusing aid in the middle, like J or K. Be careful of the ones like G which are designated for specific focal lenths.