Can Canon Speedlite 420EZ be used with Bronica ETRS?

ron_hughes

Can I use my Canon Speedlite 420EZ (in manual mode) with a Bronica ETRS? If so how? What accessories will I need? How can I best determine which of the Speedlite's manual modes (that vary light output) I should use, for any given condition? I have a Gossen Profisix, which doesn't measure flash output. I'd like to avoid having to purchase another flash unit and light meter, if possible - if only to reduce the amount of equipment that I have to lug around and to keep the peace with my wife :-)

Thanks for the feedback. If I buy a Profiflash then what? How will the Profiflash help? What info would it provide?

<p>

Will I need a speedgrip? Would this provide a hotshoe? If not, what else will I need?

<p>

How should the Speedlite be used - in manual or auto mode?

<p>

Any further info would be most welcome.

I've used my 430 EZ with my P67, so many things should be similar.

<p>

You will need a pc to hotshoe adapter. This has a pc plug on a cable that plugs into the pc socket on the camera. The other end has a hot shoe to which the flash attaches. Now the camera can trigger the flash.

<p>

I use the wooden accessory grip for the P67. It has a flash shoe receiver (hot shoe shape with no electrical contacts). The pc hot shoe adapter slides into this reciever, which gives the stack: handle-adapter-flash.

<p>

Finally, since the Canon flashes are designed for TTL use with Canon cameras, they don't have nice distance scales nor do they have automatic capability when separated from a Canon camera. You will have to use the flash in manual mode. You will also have to test flash and meter each new shot. You could also develop your own distance/flash power chart by using the flash meter and recording the results. If your flash has zoom capabilities, don't forget that this will affect the amount of light hitting the subject. Additionally, the lens coverage listed on the flash is for 35mm and will not match medium format coverage.

<p>

Good Luck,

Jim