Can anyone explain this?

The top image shows the wall displaced to the right of where the black object is, and the sidewalk and street blurred at the same vertical position in the frame; this should be a clue of some sort. The black object looks perhaps like a trash bag blowing across the street with contents falling out, but then it should probably be visible in the bottom photo. I agree with JDM, it's due to hypoglycemia - oh wait, that's a different forum. Edited by Glenn McCreery

Well, there's obviously a few seconds difference in the time of the shots, since neither of the vehicles seen in #1 are visible in #2.

IMO it's simply a black bin bag blowing across the road, and some phone cameras will do an automatic stitch in panorama mode.

It's also easy to miss what's right in front of you when staring at the small screen of a phone or camera.

• Like 1

Took the picture with my phone. I don’t know what “stitching” is so I don’t think that’s right. Not a garbage bag either. I would have seen that if it was there.

What kind of phone, was it perhaps an iPhone set to Live Photo or another camera phone with a similar option?

Take Live Photos with your iPhone camera

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

That 1st picture gets stranger the closer I look at it. It's at least a 3 part stitch.

Examine the shadow of the overhead cable, and the dotted yellow road marking. The shadow is split into at least 3 discontinuities, and the yellow lane marking is offset by about 2 feet at the point where the rubbish(?) is smudged.

If an iPhone camera can do that unbidden, then I'm glad I have a humble Android phone!

Rolling shutter? How long does the electronic traverse take in bright daylight, for goodness sake? The camera would have had to be waved like a flag!

And why the jaunty angle?

A premature and unintended shutter press perhaps?

Rolling shutter? How long does the electronic traverse take in bright daylight, for goodness sake? The camera would have had to be waved like a flag!

Depends on a number of possible settings on the iPhone (which you may not be fully aware of). But again, without a raw, which CAN be exported from Photos for us to examine, I'm kind of done with this silly game of speculating for those not too familiar with how this camera might work. ;)

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)