Can anybody tell me what this is and what it's used for.

Discussion in 'Classic Manual Cameras' started by tim_page|2, Sep 11, 2007.

1. This is supposed to be some kind of shutter synchronization/fine tuning device. Can anyone tell me who made it, how to use it, or what it works with? Any information would be greatly appreciated.[​IMG]

2. It looks very similar in form to a dual cable release I have for a Leica IIIf and its right-angle finder. It releases the shutter on the camera and raises the mirror on the finder simultaneously.

Tim O

3. there were 2 similar devices made in th early 1950's

one was an adjustanble pliunger that screwed in the cable release socket and had a electrical socket that went to the flash.

the other was spring loaded and had no plunger, when the shutter was fired the spring pushed the internal pin down and fired the flash.

I used the plunger type on my rolfix folder as the pc contast was wobbily. cords were thicker and heavier then.

this pictured device is as the previous poster said.

4. I don't have one but I have seen someone has used a similar thing when he take photo with flash.
    But if it is used for flash synchronization, where should I plug in the cable?

Tim, where did you get this machine/tool?

5. Hi Kevin;

Mine is from Leica, similar to this one:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/yvdv8a

Tim O'Donoghue

6. my synchronizer was a 1/2"hard rubber tube with 2 1/16" tubes drilled thru.

the plunger came down and shorted the two contacts.
    the cord had 2 pins that slipped (loosly) in the tubes.
    It was wartinme and the tubes inside were poorly plated and needed to be buffed with an eraser frequently.

the tube going to the cable release was threaded and had a set screw.
    they sold flashlight bulbs in a flashbulb socket so you could test and set up the synch. it did not work very well.
    batteries leaked, what a mess.

7. The strange thing about this is that there is nothing to push a cable or shutter.

8. It's a Moss Covered Three-handled Family Credunza, but stripped of the moss.