Can an EOS-1v be used in quite a rainstorm?

j._d._mcgee

I am thinking about plunking down the big bucks this summer for the

top of the line SLR (1v) mainly for its professional feel and its

true durability and water resistance. I find myself carefully

shooting in light rain with my Elan 7 and 28-105 3.5-4.5 I would

like to do work in steady rain because I like the effect and it rains

alot where I live. I hear that the 1v when coupled with some of the

newer L lenses is able to be quite water tight and dust tight. I am

just asking how water tight and weather tight is the 1v with say the

new 24-70 f/2.8 L lens?

I have used my Elan 7e out in some rain with my Sigma 28-70 f/2.8 and didn't worry at all about water exposure. There were no problems. I also have been splashed with water and a little rain while using the 28-70 f/2.8 with my EOS 3 and haven't gotten close to having problems. I believe both cameras are excellent in water and dust resistence but it is probably better to use the EOS 3 in the rain rather than the Elan 7e, just in case. I have used the EOS 1V and 3 together and I choose the 3 any day of the week. Both have excellent resistance to water and dust but the 3 has eye control focus and a better feel. The 1V I used seemed slower than the 3, so I bought the 3. Both are too loud though so I use an Elan 7 for close up nature photography.

The EOS-3 is said to be sealed comparably to the EOS-1N. The EOS-1V, on the other hand is better sealed than both and includes a lensmount gasket to mate with newer super-teles (the ones with IS), and the new 16-35L, 24-70L and 70-200L (IS version only) lenses, all of which have a mating lens mount gasket and additional sealing.

None of the above makes any of these combinations water-proof or qualifies them as underwater cameras. If you're going to be using your camera/lens in the rain, you should take precautions to keep it as dry as possible and dry everything off when you go inside.

I've always understood these features related to water sealing as to be taken

advantage of only in case of accidents, such as one-hit splashes, but I may be

wrong. I would get my 1V out under rain if needed, but I wouldn't keep it for

long, be it with a sealed lens or not. In my humble opinion: if you can use a

protective hood (there are various models, highly popular in nature

photography), do so. The 1V can stand splashes, but it's still not a underwater

camera... so better not take any chances.

Anyhow, what's the official Canon position on this?

Don't take that 'completely sealed' advertisements too seriously. A few drops won't hurt any camera but under a continious rain, even if your camera is 'sealed' water will find its way into the camera via evoporation and condensation. If you need to shoot under rain think about an underwater housing or an underwater camera, or for a cheaper solution a Pentax IQ zoom.

The identical question was made by a Japanese camera magazine to Canon when 1v was released. Canon answered "No", and said "though sealing performance is much better than 1n, it's not waterproof. Using 1v in a rainstorm may cause trouble."

<p>J.D., it is not a good idea to take any camera out in the rain without some protection and special care! This question has come up before:</p>

<a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00095V">http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00095V</a>

<p>I suggest going to the Nature forum and asking about using cameras in the rain.</p>

The best advice I got when I went to Iceland was to take a shammy leather with me. That really saved the week. I found myself taking pictures at 1m of a waterfall with winds of 100km/h arround. I'd cover my EOS30+28-135IS with the shammy and just squeeze it when it was saturated. The only problem left was how to keep waterdrops from the front of the lens...<br>

I second Gerard on using the chamois. I use a bandana to sheild my Elan7 in the rain and I try to use lens hoods. I have done this with every camera I have ever owned. Just use commaon sense and keep it pretty dry. I live in Oregon and it constantly rains here. all my adult life I have spent on construction sites and we have a saying. In oregon if you don't work in the rain...you don't work. That said I have gunned off sheeting in rain. but my screw guns only cost about $150. What does your camera cost? Personally I only want to buy them once. Also carry your gear in ziplock bags even when its in your bag and throw silica packs in the camera bag...a lot of them. This will also keep help keep fungus from growing which loves to attack optics that live in moist air. Think about this even Boomers the big old Navy Subs that carry ICBMs leak water...eventually.

I would say yes. A friend and I were once out photographing frogs in a flooded field and it began to rain, and rain, and RAIN. We were soaked since we had'nt any raincoats but my friends 1v held up without a glitch for the whole time. Even though it is highly water resistant (not submergeable) I would still recomend drying it as soon as possible. I was using an F1 original and it worked flawlessly also=) I just had to take it appart and dry it thoroughly. What you put it through though is ultimately up to you.