Cameras in Movies - part x+1

JDMvW

Back when I was physically in better shape, I did a series of posts on cameras in old movies, especially science fiction movies.

In the midst of the plague, I've been doing what many here are doing -- cleaning up old files, the photographic equivalent of knitting, and so on.

I did discover some stills that I don't think that I have posted before.

The movie is Wise's 1951 classic The Day the Earth Stood Still (imdb: The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951) - IMDb).

Whether or not the 'symbolic' elements were intended or not, is much argued; although it is hard not to be suspicious (Klaatu's alias has the initials "J.C." he dies and is resurrected, brings a message of peace, etc.).

Regardless, there are a few bits of photographic impedimenta in the film, mostly folding cameras in the crowd when the saucer lands in Washington. (BTW, both carried by females)

DTESS-folding-camera-in-crowd-1.jpg.e6fccac06c877b8c0cb87f889955261a.jpg

DTESS-folding-camera-in-crowd-2.jpg.208a6419e3a0c8a0a6412cbf5539b1b9.jpg

DTESS-folding-camera-in-crowd-3.thumb.jpg.70e90ee278945915a4360b205ca21c24.jpg

(closer up)

There is a touch of video, however. Here is Drew Pearson (see Wikipedia, if you are not of a certain age) and the TV broadcast studio and camera:

DTESS-Drew-Pearson-TV-camera.jpg.b011ee2c031b2b61adc000f48713251e.jpg

There's no prize, but what are the camera(s) in the crowd? Kodak folders? Certainly a little more sophisticated than the Kodak Jiffy, at any rate.

So here it is, more useless information about old cameras :)

Edited by JDMvW
  • Like 1

You can watch the movie for free at:

The. Day. The. Earth. Stood. Still[ 1951] : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

The movie is Wise's 1951 classic The Day the Earth Stood Still (imdb: The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951) - IMDb).

...although it is hard not to be suspicious (Klaatu's alias has the initials "J.C." he dies and is resurrected, brings a message of peace, etc.).

Hmm... don't forget about the

divine retribution in store for

the earth's people if they don't

shape up...

http://bayouline.com/o2.gif