Cameraquest has Bessa D page up

gerry_szarek

>Al Kaplan Photo.net Hero, feb 20, 2004; 08:27 a.m.

>My absurd brain envisions a little tiny generator, a few fast turns ofthe crank and you got yourself charged batteries!

Hehe... and you get to watch the needle move from 'E' to 'F' as you crank.

I gotta admit it, I'm fairly impressed!

The APS size sensor is about the same as the Nikon and Canon sensors. That is probably

why they could make the camera and allow the use of wider lenses. It partially solves the

rangefinder geometry problem we've been discussing. So, your 35 becomes your standard

lense, the 24 is a slight wide angle, 21 is wide, and so on. But don't worry CV has lots of

really wide lenses (like the 15 and 12) that will give you super wide perspective. Now, on

the long end, the 135 becomes a serious tele, and that will be cool too.

I was talking with one of the guys at my local camera shop who had been to PMA. He said the price he heard kicked around was around $1000. He also said it's an Epson product and will be sold through Espon's dealer network. This could be inaccurate, but I don't know where Gandy gets his idea that it may be more than an M7. He might be angling to get a few hundred pre release and sell them at a super premium. Any way, we'll know more soon.

Thanks.

My gut is now Leica will need to come out with a 1.3 or 1.0X to compete on $$ and marketing, especially if they wait 2 years.

Jorn their is hope that Hexar RF will be made into a digital version since Minolta has just come out with a DSLR.

Now do we have the patience to wait until 11 March?

Have a nice icy weekend.

Gerry

The Bessa is great, not bad, news for Leica. First, it gives all the Leica-loyalists a digital

option for their Leica glass. Second, it lends credibility (i.e. that it is technically feasible)

that Leica can and will actually build a working digital M. Thus, the Bessa D beaths new

life into Leica M lens sales.

Beau* - he said "The biggest RANGEFINDER news at PMA....", not "the biggest news...".

Since Leica had preannounced their intention to go ahead with a digital-M, and there were no other rangefinder-related PMA announcements - I guess this qualifies, no?

Me, I'll wait to see what Leica and Epson actually comes up with (and at what price and quality). If Leica can produce a full-frame chip that actually works with a 21/24, and for less than a new car, then I might jump that way. If all Leica produces is ANOTHER aps-cropped camera, the Epson looks like a shoo-in - maybe.

In a 'gadgets' catalog I did see a hand-cranked recharger for cell-phone batteries (2 minutes cranking gets you 10 minutes of talking). Might not be a bad idea for digicam users heading out into the wilds.