Camera view distorted..please help identify problem

christy_spencer2

I agree with Michael Schrag. Looks like an inadvertent long exposure with some camera

movement thrown in.

So it would be interesting if Christy would report back her findings when she's tried a few

more exposures while paying special attention to the settings.

Shun, the camera (according to EXIF data) was in Auto mode, 8.9mm. It would have to been under extreme low light for a 1s/f2.8 exposure to occur if the camera was function properly. On the other hand, if this was shot under normal lighting, a (possible) loose (or defective) sensor could have contributed to its inability to meter and image properly. The posted sample also doesn't have the normally expected appearance of motion blur.

This is Nikon's service notice on the subject. Contact your national distributor to arrange for repair.

"Notice for COOLPIX SQ, COOLPIX 3100 and COOLPIX 5700 customers

It has come to our attention that electronic components related to imaging in some COOLPIX cameras may, on rare occasions, fail. Should you experience this problem with your COOLPIX SQ, COOLPIX 3100 or COOLPIX 5700 camera, Nikon will replace the associated components free of charge even if the cameras warranty has already expired. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you may have suffered because of this problem. To check if your camera has failed due this reason, please read the symptom description, below.

How can I identify if my camera is faulty?

Images displayed on the monitor, in both shooting preview and post-recording playback exhibit one of the following:

- Images exhibit a strong colour tint.

- Images are totally black.

- Images appear corrupted.

- Images contain vertical lines or bands.

- Images contain horizontal lines or bands."

Christy here.....It sounds like the info given about the electronic components related to imaging problem with this model of camera may be the problem because I see the distortion in the viewfinder even before the photo is shot.* months after I purchased the camera the built in flash stopped working. Since I could still take pictures without the flash I had not sent the camera away to be fixed due to cost, you see, the store that we bought the camera from in NY never sent teh 5 year extended warranty. They stated that it would be sent 30-90 days after I got the camera and after repeatedc phone calls and rude customer service, including them saying to me "I am going to hang up now" then they did and I have also sent letters asking for teh warranty but now almost 2 years after the purchase , still no warranty . If anyone has any info as to how I can get that camera store to send it to me I would be grateful.

One more question, could the malfunction possibly be due to a magnetic interference?

I am just guessing..

Thanks so much for your time.

PS on the above post...I could only get teh camera to shoot in User Setting 3 and it was on a tripod. It seemed taht there is a problem switching to different user settings as well.. the day before the camera was working fine except of course for the internal flash not working at all.. and that stopped working 8 months after the purchase..

Thanks,

Christy