Camera used by Cindy Sherman

Set your instructor straight and don't mention the kind of camera because it is impertinent. If

he says it, then turn him into "Rate Your Instructor".

So you can move on now to concentrate on the important parts.

Pico,

Where in Alissa's query did she mention the teacher? For you to automatically assume that the teacher said that the type of camera is important is a little bit presumptive. What happens if the paper was just a research paper about the photographer? Besides, photo.net is about learning from others.

Alissa,

If it is a research assignment, then Ellis' suggestion is a good positive one since that would be a primary source. Other excellent sources would be to find out which galleries rep her. They would have the information also.

Also, I strongly disagree with Pico regarding the importance of the camera. It is important because she made a decision to use them. Some photographers like to make the broad dismissal that the cameras aren't important, that the photographer is what is important. But there are appropriate times to use a 35mm camera and other times a large format camera makes more sense. What's important, if you are a photographer, is not to put too much importance on the brand of camera.

Good luck with your project, she's a fascinating photographer.

John

I have to agree, of course the photographer is the important thing, and a great photographer could, no doubt, get good photographs with anything. But they do choose, and with reasons that may be interesting and revealing about what they do and what they seek. Imagine Ansel Adams, Marie Cosindas and Cartier-Bresson swapping cameras and film. I'm sure they'd all have great fun for a while, and come up with something interesting, but it wouldn't be the work they spent their careers perfecting.