Camera Stores

Discussion in 'Leica and Rangefinders' started by r s, Jan 12, 2007.

1. r s

r s

Visited another old camera store (International Camera, Oakland, CA) a month ago and snapped some photos of it using an Olympus 35SP and Kodak Tri-X 400.

I did a short write-up of the place, and some more photos, here for anyone interested.

It was amazing to see all these cameras in boxes, on shelves or simply hanging off the walls.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. It is a difficult time for a store like this, especially in California. The rent is just too high.

3. Take a peek at Central Camera if you ever get to Chicago. It dates back the the 1890's held by the same family. It is neat old place. High pressed tin ceiling, lots of used gear along atmosphere and the new stuff.

4. There's an interesting looking camera (just a corner showing) in the first picture, in the middle at the very top of the frame, on the shelf on the left.

5. Quite possible there are forum members who have rooms in their homes that look like this.

6. I've always enjoyed looking thru the used section of "old" camera stores. Great used SLR camera cases, lens cases, etc. One of my favorites in Baltimore closed down about 2 years ago. About a year before that all of their used equipment simply disappeared one day. I asked what happened and the reply was, "One day someone came in and offered a fixed amount for ALL of it." My other favorite camera/photo lab shut down this year. So, there aren't any with used equipment anymore. Then a month ago I took B&W negatives to the only photo lab near me; it was closed. So, I went to the other one in downtown Baltimore; it was gone. An empty shell. That leaves just one lab that will do B&W without sending it out for two weeks. I'm excluding Walmart, Ritz, etc. because (1) they send B&W out and automatic Fuji equipment for 1-hour processing "doesn't count, and (2) they don't have used equipment sitting around like a "real" camera store/photo lab. So, I still have one place left for 1-day turnaround for b&w film. Then its send to California, Maine, or New Mexico, etc. Perhaps Beijing soon; or Calcutta. Overnight express? Great photo. So, does KEH now have all the old photo equipment? Does KEH let you browse?

7. So, does KEH now have all the old photo equipment?

Not all of it -- Kevin at kevincameras.com has a corner on all the cool/rare Minolta MD lenses in existence, for instance, and charges accordingly. :)

Does KEH let you browse?

Sure, via your web browser. They don't have a showroom. I would love to wander around that place for a few hours/days...

8. "Quite possible there are forum members who have rooms in their homes that look like
    this."- no sh*t, sherlock :)

9. r s

r s

There's an interesting looking camera (just a corner showing) in the first picture, in the middle at the very top of the frame, on the shelf on the left.

Frank, do you mean this one?
    [​IMG]

Not sure what it could be.

10. I work in a family owned camera shop in Elyria, Ohio one of the few left..the basement look just like the photos you've posted. Here.s a shot of the display area..Bill ~

11. Since you are in the Bay Area, visit Keeble & Shuchat in Palo Alto. On the second floor of one of their two stores, next to the darkroom section, there is an absolutely amazing collection of Leica gear.