Camera store in San Diego area?

bill_todd

<p>I live in Tucson and our few camera stores are small. I am looking for a new camera backpack and will be in San Diego the week after next so I am looking for a camera store with a large stock of backpacks anywhere in the San Diego area. I would really like to be able to pack all my gear in the pack before I buy.<br>

I would particularly like to find a store that carries Tamrac since my current guess is that a Tamrac Evolution 8 (5788) will be my best choice. Any suggestions?<br>

FWIW, my requirements are:<br>

Must fit under seat in a 737 or larger aircraft. That limits the dimensions to 19" h x 14" w x 8" deep. I would probably be ok with a 9" depth but that is the absolute maximum depth.<br>

Pocket for 15.6" screen laptop.<br>

Room for a Rebel T1i, 17-55mm f2.8 USM, 55-250mm, 100mm f2.8 USM macro and lens hoods.<br>

Must have a compartment separate from the camera compartment to hold misc. gear such as my Nook, MP3 player, snacks, etc.<br>

If anyone has a suggestion for a bag that meets these requirements I would appreciate it.<br>

Thanks.</p>

<p>Calumet, a chain of pro-oriented stores, reports a branch in San Diego: 830 W. Valley Pkwy, Suite 330 Escondido, CA 92025, 760.737.6002 . In the past, it's been excellent, but I haven't had experience with them since they closed their Santa Barbara branch a couple of years ago. It is possible that the economic problems that forced them to close that branch may have caused them to reduce their inventories in other branches.<br /> If you're willing to dive some ninety miles, Samy's, another excellent chain, has a branch in Santa Ana. Samy's main store, in Los Angeles, is the best place I know of in Southern California, but of course that's a longer drive.</p>

<p>As to a backpack, I suggest looking at Lowepro, which has a huge variety. For the needs you describe, the <a href="http://products.lowepro.com/product/CompuRover-AW,1923,16.htm"><strong>Lowepro CompuRover AW</strong></a> might be ideal</p>

<p>Calumet in Escondido is pretty easy to access as it is right off of I-15. Two years ago (we moved away), they did have a fair selection of backpacks in the store but I don't know if they have a sample of everything you might be interested in. You could check the Calumet website and see if they generally carry what you want and/or give the store a call ahead of time.</p>