alleviates "essential tremor" is Inderal (propanolol.) The usual

dose is 10 to 20 mg taken one hour before the putative

photographic foray. Given inderal's short half-life, repeat doses

are required every 6 hours. Please however contact your

physician to make sure that this LOW DOSE of inderal is right for

you as the medication can aggravate underlying diabetes or

worsen a slow heart rate amongst other things. However, it is a

very safe medication used therapeutically by tens of millions of

people world wide for hypertension therapy.

Hypertension therapy is a legitimate use of prescription medication (risks vs benefits analysis, something every medical student learns in their first week of Pharmacology). On the other hand, "Hmmm, you know what, my pictures aren't sharp" and "Hmmm, I just need to run 0.3 seconds faster to clinch a gold medal" are not legitimate uses.

Albert

I have to say I am surprised you are seriously recommending any recreational drug use to be honest; it sounds a very pooor idea to me. It is one thing if you have hypertension, but just to (possibly) be able to take the odd shot at slow speeds seems misguided.

Robin Smith

There are a lot of other drugs that can improve your photography too, just ask anyone from the 60's ;>)

Seriously though, Albert it's your prerogative to self-prescribe Inderal to help steady your camera but I suspect that a lot of physicians might be unwilling to write an Rx for a patient for that purpose. Personally, I would first try cessation of caffiene intake, undertaking a stress-reduction program, exercise, Yoga, a table-tripod, and Image Stabilization, before swallowing something with a long list of potential side effects. Anyone who is on Rx meds knows it isn't all roses.

I'll not bash Albert on his post. Although his Inderal suggestion

goes against my philosphy of purity, I like this thread nontheless

-- most informative, though tangential and [ by the responses ]

quite entertaining. I'll keep buying popcorn while the filck is

rolling...when is intermission btw?

Taking a deep breath as someone mentioned is good, but don't some photogs hold it before and on shutter release? And, of course, press that release gently. Seems mainly necessary for slow shutter speeds. Haven't tried one of those soft releases, but seems like an interesting device.

I'm another of those who sometimes uses ethanol to dampen the shakes--never have tried propanalol. I don't get what the fuss is about. We have billions of dollars worth of ads telling us everyday how taking some drug or another will solve problems ranging from sneezing and farting to sleeplessness and anxiety (not to mention those drugs that will make us cooler, more popular, and more fun).