Camera Protection

fwnative54

I am an amateur photographer and will be going to the Texas gulf coast next

week and plan on taking a lot of seaside and beach pictures. My question is,

are there any precautions I should take with my camera and lenses as far a sea

spray, salt and sand goes, other than being very careful when changing lenses

and such. I will using both Nikon film and digital cameras.

Thanks

The weather is quite nice right now. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just exercise due caution. I carry my field kit in a dedicated backpack. If rain is n the forecast, then each lens goes into its own ziploc bag (which you can never carry too many of...). You don't need to spend any extra money. Just go and have a good time.

Our family just spent a few days in Houston and Galveston at the end of March. It rained quite a bit and Texas is much more humid than Colorado so I used zip lock bags and silica gel packets when they were not in use. I also kept an old cloth in my camera bag to wipe down my gear. In Galveston when I changed lenses or rolls of film, I tried to shield my camera to keep it as protected as possible from salt spray and sand. Not sure that it mattered much or even helped but when I was done with beach shooting, I wiped down my cameras and lenses with ROR. Others who shoot more often at the Gulf may have better tips for you.

Gallon ziplock bags with silica gel packets work well, good Wayne. I put all my equipment in ziplocks and then into the camera bag. I traveled to Japan last year and brought the D80 in a gallon ziplock bag. Worked great and saved a lot of space in my travel bag. I use a brush to dust off my gear once a month or so. Watch out for salt water! It and sand are both death for electronic AND mechanical cameras.

Dave

David, I am in Florida so I deal with sand, salt, beach, wind, and rain every day. My camera is not sealed so I bought the same thing John talked about. It is wonderful for the body but does virtually nothing for lens protection. For that, I just use good old baggies.

If this is a one-time thing for you, I wouldn't bother with the armor but if you use a D70, D80, or D200, it might be something to think about. BTW, it sells for less on eBeast than direct from the company.