Camera or Lens. Which to upgrade first.

ron_brown6

<p>I have an original 5D, and am wanting to either upgrade my camera to a 6D, or buy a 70-200 f/4 lens. As much as I wish I could do both, unfortunately, I can only do one or the other. My 5D is a pretty decent camera, even though my best lens is a simple 50mm 1.8. So if I do go with the 6D, again the 50mm would be my best lens. And I have heard nothing but good about the 70-200.<br>

I am not a professional, but I do have an undying love of photography. I shoot anything and everything, and am always open to learning more. So basically, this is my question; Would you upgrade from a 5D to a 6D, or would you spend some money on a premium lens, a 70-200 f/4 IS?<br>

Any advice or help woyld be truly appreciated, as I am ready to pull the trigger on one or the other. Thanks all. Ron</p>

<p> </p>

<p>If the current body provides the function and reliability that you require (esp. with respect to low light performance and video (or not)), then a new lens would seem to make more sense.</p>

<p>I'm just upgrading from 5D to 5DIII, but not really by choice: there's a sort of trickle down process of spreading cameras around in our family, and... a long story. So anyway, I was forced to upgrade, poor me ;)</p>

<p>But I really liked my 5D, had no problems with it, was very comfortable with it.</p>

<p>One thing to keep in mind with 6D too: it uses the a different memory card format, not a deal breaker, but something to consider. You can read up on the differences on TheDigitalPicture.</p>

<p>If I was in your shoes right now, I'd pick up the 70-200. It's not clear from your post, but the IS version of the f4 will be more versatile I think.</p>

<p>I think you may be artificially limiting yourself to these two choices. There are many others that will allow you to a) improve your photographic capabilities comprehensively, and b) stay within your budget. </p>

<p>The bottom line though is that if indeed these are your only two choices, then the 5D w/ a 70-200/4 IS & 50/1.8 is probably a better 'kit' than a 6D w/ a 50/1.8. Which is the only answer that matters.</p>

<p>However, you haven't told us what the rest of your kit consists of.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Definitely the lens. The 70-200/4 L IS is the most versatile lens and sharpest zoom I've ever used.</p>

<p>Later, you could pick up a used 5DII, which is a much more significant upgrade (in terms of image quality) over the 5D than is either the 6D or 5DIII over the 5DII.</p>

<p>Since you don't give detail of your uses, you can fall back on the standard wisdom that lenses hold their value much better than digital bodies over the years. And in five years it's a good bet that lens will still be in production but the digital body won't.</p>

<p>Which problem do you want to fix? What is your current gear not doing that you'd want to do? If you find your 24-105mm is basically always long enough, then what use is a 70-200, for example? Or maybe something like a 85 f/1.8 makes more sense... or that 6D. Otherwise.. I'd favour a lens too, but it's a guess.</p>

<p>If it's upgrading because you want to treat yourself with a great nice toy (which is fully understandable and not much wrong with it really for a hobbyist), I'd get the lens first probably.</p>

<p>I am late but yes the lens. I would also take a serious look at Tamron Lenses. I shoot with a Canon 5D2 and love the Tamron 70-300 F4-5.6 VC. I got mine for $399 and the Image stablization alone is worth that but the IQ is breath taking even on a 5d2. A combination of lenses will open your photography more than a new camera body. <br>

I went Tamron VC zooms and primes. For the price of a Canon 70 - 200 F4L you could pick up the Tamron 70-300 VC and a Canon 85 1.8 to pair with your 50 1.8. You might also look at the 28 1.8. Now you would have both VC and low light primes and increased zoom with the 70-300. Win, win, win. Plus you save money. I have actually sold all my l series lenses except 85 1.2L and 17-40 F4L. Those are just tooo god to part with. But everything else is primes or Tamron VC.</p>