Camera for Four Thirds System

alan_kovarik

Olympus abandoned the system and the adapters intended to make the legacy 4/3 lenses work on m4/3 never worked satisfactory. As Sanford notes, your father is better off starting with a new system.

As one of the 4/3 customers burned by Olympus, I still hold a grudge and would not buy their products again.

Niels

First, I agree with Sanford's comments, and unless your father has some unique 4/3 lenses, he would likely get better results with a new system. The Olympus EM-1 (1st generation) with an Olympus adapter can use and auto focus 4/3 lenses and it generally sells used for around $500. It's 16mp sensor will be a significant step up from any 4/3 camera in terms of dynamic range and high ISO performance.

I don't have any personal experience, but it is my understanding that Olympus 4/3 lenses work reasonably well on Olympus EM-1 series cameras.

Depends on a number of things:

1. What lenses does he have? If they're not good ones (14-42, 40-150, 70-300) then the recommendation to not adapt may have some merit. If, however, he has some good ones (such as the 14-54, 12-60, 11-22, 50-200, 9-18, 50, 14-35, 7-14, 35-100) then it could be a wise thing to extend their life on µ4/3 as replacing them in a new system would be thousands of dollars.

2. Also related to what lenses he has, know that only a handful of 4/3 lenses had motors robust enough to work well with a CDAF focusing system (the majority of µ4/3 cameras). Olympus only has PDAF support on the E-M1, E-M1ii, and the E-M5iii. The CDAF lenses that will work effectively on lesser µ4/3 bodies were:

• 25/2.8

• 9-18/4-5.6

• 14-42/3.5-5.6

• 14-54/2.8-3.5 ii

• 40-150/4-5.6

• 70-300/4-5.6

You're going to be looking at used gear to find something for $500 or less. There are a lot of used E-M1 (mark i) cameras for that price. I'm guessing that you'll need to get the E-M1 because you'll need its PDAF focusing (otherwise you'd be abandoning the system because your lenses aren't worth investing further in). The E-M1 will focus the whole 4/3 lens lineup effectively.

Make sure you get one of the Olympus MMF adapters or the Panasonic MA1. They will make the lens work seamlessly with the E-M1. Third party 4/3-to-µ4/3 adapters have always been crap and will just be a waste of your money. The Olympus MMF-1 was solid metal and was my favourite (though the hardest to find these days). The MMF-2 or MMF-3 are great too, just polycarbonate.

• Like 1

I agree with Ken and Sanford. If you have some of the very high quality 4/3 lenses such as the 8mm, 35-100mm f2 or 150mm f2 etc (these were and remain quite expensive) then I would try to find an MMF/MA1 adapter, otherwise I would suggest considering starting again.
Robin Smith

some modern alternative for his old Four Thirds camera Olympus e420

As I remember, there are used E-1, E-3, and E-5 from Olympus and easy to get under $500.

I really like the 4/3 format, but I don't want any mirror-less cameras, therefore micro-4/3 format is not for me. I also agree with other opinions here that using the 4/3 lenses on micro-4/3 cameras is not a good idea. So if your father does not want any of the E-1, E-3, or E-5, then you could sell those lenses to me (if the lenses are in good conditions and the price is good). I have a Panasonic L1 (in great condition and I really love to use it) and an Olympus E-300 (which was very poorly built and its card door was broken, though it is still working) and a few working lenses for them. However, I really want to have some other lenses in great conditions.

• 4 weeks later...
Depends on a number of things:

1. What lenses does he have? If they're not good ones (14-42, 40-150, 70-300) then the recommendation to not adapt may have some merit. If, however, he has some good ones (such as the 14-54, 12-60, 11-22, 50-200, 9-18, 50, 14-35, 7-14, 35-100) then it could be a wise thing to extend their life on µ4/3 as replacing them in a new system would be thousands of dollars.

2. Also related to what lenses he has, know that only a handful of 4/3 lenses had motors robust enough to work well with a CDAF focusing system (the majority of µ4/3 cameras). Olympus only has PDAF support on the E-M1, E-M1ii, and the E-M5iii. The CDAF lenses that will work effectively on lesser µ4/3 bodies were:

• 25/2.8

• 9-18/4-5.6

• 14-42/3.5-5.6

• 14-54/2.8-3.5 ii

• 40-150/4-5.6

• 70-300/4-5.6

You're going to be looking at used gear to find something for $500 or less. There are a lot of used E-M1 (mark i) cameras for that price. I'm guessing that you'll need to get the E-M1 because you'll need its PDAF focusing (otherwise you'd be abandoning the system because your lenses aren't worth investing further in). The E-M1 will focus the whole 4/3 lens lineup effectively.

Make sure you get one of the Olympus MMF adapters or the Panasonic MA1. They will make the lens work seamlessly with the E-M1. Third party 4/3-to-µ4/3 adapters have always been crap and will just be a waste of your money. The Olympus MMF-1 was solid metal and was my favourite (though the hardest to find these days). The MMF-2 or MMF-3 are great too, just polycarbonate.

FWIW, there's at least one MMF-1 on the big auction site for $29: Auto Focus Four Thirds lens to Olympus Panasonic Micro 4/3 M4/3 Adapter MMF-1 US | eBay