I have absolutely no digital under my belt, for 4 years now I've done

all traditional (processing, developing, etc myself). I want to

learn the basics, however I need to start out slow, everyday a new

digital camera comes out, and some other component is invented. My

question is, what would be a good digital camera, that will last a

long time, and keep me up-to-date as the years go on (if that's

possible). Also, what about books to help me out? I appreciate any

help I can get. Thanks! Chrissy

<em>My question is, what would be a good digital camera, that will last a long time, and keep me up-to-date as the years go on (if that's possible).</em>

<p>

None of these are possible. Ever.

<p>

Do you own a computer? Does your computer fall under any of these requirements? No, not really.

<p>

Digital camera manufacturers do not want you to own one camera for years to come. They don't want you to be happy with what you buy after a year. They want you to buy something new year-in and year-out. Therefore they will never make a camera that will keep you happy for very long and certainly they will never make one that can keep you "up-to-date."

<p>

If you've been involved with film photography for four years and you're not happy with what you've been doing (processing, developing, printing) then perhaps digital is for you. But I suspect this not the case. You've probably hit a mental wall of sorts and just need a project or activity to get you over it. I've found that my "longings" for a digital camera quickly vanish as soon as I get involved in a photo project I've invented for myself. Four years of being involved in photography is hardly scratching the surface.