from a local (50 miles) camera club to present at a meeting of theirs. I have

many ideas in mind and have no problem with making quasi-interesting

discussions. I have done a number of gratuit travel (non-photo) presentations

over the last couple of years, but never one to do with my primary

occupation. The president of this club asked (via email) what I would charge

and I really had no idea. I feel I should make a little something for my

time/travel, but how much...$50.00, $100.00. Anybody done these type of

presentations before to small-mid sized camera clubs?? Please help, so I can

make an educated reply. Thanks in advance.

Sean

Hi Sean,

I'm the Treasurer of a small/medium club in Scotland. I tend to find that most of our guests charge the cost of fuel to get to us. I would charge this as a minumum and add the cost of any meals you may have. I would also check with the club that they are happy with your charge.

Mark Roscrow

I am intrigued by your use of the term "quasi-interesting discussions." "Quasi"....in the manner of, resembling but not authentic, a pose or pretense. "He was uneducated, but he affected a quasi-intellectual posture."

Exactly how do you conduct quasi-intellectual discussions? Are these also "gratuit?" Are you related to Bush?

As always, it depends. In this case, it depends on the size of the club and some other factors. In general, though, you're right that it's a pretty small amount. You could point out to them that you're driving a fair distance to get there, but in the end, $50-$100 is about the range except for the larger clubs. Presenting to Camera Clubs can be fun, but it's not hugely profitable.

I've done these - and still do a few- and whilst this is again UK rather than US I think by far the commonest situation here is to do it for expenses by which I mean mileage and any essential meals. I think the body to which UK clubs affiliate have set a standard rate per mile, though I and I suspect others tend just to ask for the cost of fuel- normally somewhat to the Treasurer's relief. Its not a money thing at all.