Camera Bag for a "Classic" 35mm SLR System

I have my fair share of modern bags, but find that they're often poorly laid out for someone who wants to shoot with 1-2 bodies and prime lenses. Specifically, many of them favor a couple of large, deep pockets that let you drop an SLR/DSLR with a big zoom attached, and then possibly space for one or two other larger zooms.

I'd like suggestions for something that I can use to carry a more traditional system. Specifically, I'd want to carry one or two bodies with small primes attached(probably a Nikon F/F2/F3 or FM2, or combinations thereof) and then have several smaller, shallower compartments for 4-6 primes. Of course, along with that I'd want space for film and filters. The longest lens I'd probably carry in this set up would be a 200mm f/4, but more likely I'd top out at a 135mm f/2.8.

I found a used no-name canvas bag with one big compartment at the end and 4 smaller compartments at the local camera shop, and this works fairly well for a single body+lens(any reasonably sized manual advance body fits with room to spare) and 4 additional lenses. Unfortunately, I run a bit short with it for film space also.

Can anyone suggest a bag-new or used-that fits what I'm describing?

You might check Craigslist or a thrift shop for some of the older (1980s, USA-made, Cordura nylon) LowePro or Tamrac bags. These have padded Velcro dividers that can be reconfigured in a number of different ways to hold smaller lenses, and a "lens cradle" to hold two bodies with lenses attached.

I had one of the old blue LowePro ones which worked well, though a bit too big. I currently use a vintage green Tamrac camera backpack, which is not the flat shape of the current backpacks; the bottom compartment is more like a conventional camera case, with empty zippered top compartment, front and side pockets. It doesn't look like a camera bag, which is one thing I like.

Domke still makes some nice canvas bags, but they're a bit pricey.

Edited by m42dave

I just checked, and it seems I have Tamrac bags, which I think are from a thrift shop, or maybe one is not.

I had one back to the FM and short or medium length zoom days. (These are pretty small bags, but I would

rather have two smaller bags than one large bag. They have a fanny pack strap on them, but rings for

a neck strap that I usually don't use.)

-- glen

Nikon FB 8 - best working case for film Nikon cameras I've ever had. Nikon FB 11, larger, also excellent, can carry more gear, but lens changes less convenient than the former. Both often available on line in very good shape. I'd say, along with the FB 5 (one camera body), an almost essential addition to any film Nikon collection.

I've always used Tamrac bags, but haven't bought one in decades. I think I'm using their "System 6". It holds 4 primes and maybe another one under the camera shelf. With the one on the body, that's six. Side pockets hold filters, charger etc. Had a nice pull-out memory card holder and I even stash a camera manual in the back wall. Really only good for one body though. edit- it looks like the later versions got rid of the pull-out memory card holder and integrated it in the front, but not sure it's still in production at all. Camera bags seem to be something that gets worse over time due to cost cutting and shrinking market.

+1

Nikon FB 8

FB 5 (one camera body)

"reporter's cases" super handy for carrying Nikon, flip open and you can easily handle lenses etc., and for self defense when crowded in line.

The catch is that the leatherette on the FB8 self destructs over time, Although the FB5 holds only one body, it's the better buy because the cover is real leather.

1284617926_Nikon-Compartment-CasesFB--5.jpg.919004f68ac4e2aa13aa16bcd457a008.jpg

my earlier report at

Nikon Compartment Cases - a short history

Edited by JDMvW
  • Like 1

As you know, I re covered my FB 8 - but I am almost certain I saw a leather one somewhere online

I have the same recollection, but I've only found the Asanuma case listing, and have never been able to find it actually on sale.

I still use mine, and the tape cover gives it a certain 'look' - kind of like an old brassed Nikon for a professional in the old days.

Thanks guys-looks like I owe the FB-5 a try even if it won't QUITE meet all my requirements. I was thinking of "those cases with the bayonets in the bottom" when I posted this, but couldn't remember what they were called or the configurations. I have my eye on a few on Ebay now, so I'll see what happens over the next few days.

I'll look at some of the other suggestions too.

I also have a Domke F1x on the way, but in the mean time here is a Nikon FB-5 that I was able to get for a fairly reasonable price on Ebay.

I wish it had more than 3 lens bayonets, but it made me take a serious look at what I actually want to pack and how many lenses a person actually NEEDS. I haven't been out with it yet, but right now the camera(Nikon F2SB, which is a tiny bit snug but still fits) has a 50mm f/1.4. The other lenses are a 20mm f/4, 35mm f/1.4, and 105mm f/2.5.

The 35mm f/1.4 and 50mm f/1.4 are a bit redundant, and it might not be a bad idea to swap the 50mm out for a 55mm f/3.5 Micro-Nikkor. Alternatively, I could skip the 50mm entirely since I have "fast" covered, and load up a 105mm f/2.8 Micro and 200mm f/4, or possibly some other combination in there. A 24mm f/2.8 might also be more versatile than the 20mm-there are certainly plenty of decisions here when you're limited to 4 total primes.

IMG_6099.thumb.jpg.2fd4cb27b5a176aa73724b3884d2cbce.jpg

Back in a previous life, I bought and sold camera gear. Frequently, when I bought a collection, the bag was thrown in as part of the deal. I never sold any bags, though, and as a result of this, I have lots of camera bags. Of all the different brands I own, I gotta say that I probably like Tamrac the best, and the reason is the strap. The Tamrac straps tend to have better padding than others I own. As far as the inner spaces go, just about all of them can be configured with the velcro separators, so that's not usually a reason to recommend one over another. I have one bag -- I'll have to check and see what brand it is -- that has separators that I like. Two of them are tall with a "U" shaped cutout in the middle, so they work great for cameras with motordrive and lens attached. And the fact that there are two of them, I have them located at either end of the bag, so I can fit two motordriven cameras with lenses in the bag. There's enough room in between the two separators for four pockets -- two by two -- so four more tall lenses can be added, or what I'll often do -- I'll stack two shorter primes in these pockets. It's a handy bag, but when fully loaded with old-school cameras with motor drives and lenses, it can weigh a lot!
  • Like 1