Camera Armor

cj.mccormack

Hi all,

Has anybody had any experience with the above.

My EOS 400D goes with me EVERYWHERE (and I do mean everywhere - you should see

the fights I have had trying to walk in to a cinema with it slung ove my

shoulder!!!)

and in order to protect the little beast from the general knocks and bang that

are part of it's life, I was think ing about a set of this and wondered if

anyone had had any experinces good or bad??

Any feedback gratefully received.......

CJM

Christian,

OK, where's the camera -- I mean, isn't this one of those Candid Camera things?

Sorry, while my first reaction was facetious, so are my second and third:

2. Recycle an old ammo casing.

3. Use a liberal application of verbal threats and knuckle pies.

Oh, and my fourth:

Hire a "body" guard to keep the hoi polloi away from your toy.

Sorry, sorry, sorry! I suppose there are products that do exactly what you ask, so I'll shut up and wait to be educated -- and put in my place. I asked for it. As our once illustrious, now lame-duck President said: "Bring it on" -- and the world knows how effective that was.

Looks like I'm the only one that has it so I'll give you my take on it.....

I bought it for my D80. The package included the 'body armor' and a rubber lens hood. Believe it or not, the armor is pretty nice. It has a great feel and it definitely keeps dust and other air thingees from getting inside. A classy thing about the product is that they are made specifically for each camera body style so it really fits well.

My biggest concern was whether I could reach all the buttons. They took care of that pretty well. The bottom is uncovered so the battery compartment is easily accessible. There are raised buttons that complement those on the camera body. Guess I'm kind of used to it now so I can't imagine not having it.

I am not so impressed with the lens hood. It's a neat idea to have a rubber hood to protect the lens and cut out some glare but the fit is poor. As they say, it fits "most" lenses. What they don't say is it fits much better on larger lenses (> 60mm). It slips off too easily on smaller lenses.

I liked it enough that I also got one for my son's D70. You can purchase it directly from them or from many retailers now but I found the best prices were on eBay (about $10 less). BTW, they come in a couple colors, black and what they call smoke (gray). Make sure you get the right color that you want.

Thank you, Christian! Your good nature makes me feel all the more guilty for indulging my urge to fun around. I see there are products like what you wanted, so I am properly chastised.

I remember there were also neoprene skins you could slip over lenses, but I've lost the link. The other thing that comes to mind are the single camera/lens bags, but I guess that wouldn't work if you want to be able to shoot.

Sounds almost like you might be out mingling after a soccer match of football game!

Bruce

Camera in latin means box; so a box to protect the camera box is what you want. Now your c-armour will get and absorb the nicks and bangs, keeping the camea body pristine, we hope.

Would you want a reference on where to get a protector box for the c-armour thingy? I will galdly give it to you if you want it, Then there are fourth level protectors for that thind layer etc. I have

seen someone obsess with 6 layers of protection. The whole thing was the size of a small motorscooter for a simple SLR body underneath it all.

Are you in the business for that, too? It was a film SLR, no less, so you can imagine what it took to get the film out. The owner of that 6 level scooter size camera preferred 24 frame films, because he did not want to leave a partially exposed film for a week in his camera. He said it would affect the picture quality .. Go figure that one out ..

Now you know it all that you might want to try and obsess over, instead of just taking pictures with your one layer camera or "box" all naked by itself ... .

Now that I've looked at the Camera Armor product I can see specialized situations where it might be useful, say dusty, sandy, windy environments or the beach, with an unsealed body.

But for the situation you describe I'm not sure it would help much. I'd think one of those semi-hard, dedicated cases like Canon makes might be what you need:

http://tinyurl.com/2jahtr

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=search&Q=&ci=173