in program mode and set my exposure compensation dial to + 1 2/3 or

+2, will my flash expose properly or do I need to set it to +1 2/3 or

+2 also?

To expand on that, lets assume I am in manual mode and I set my

camera to f/4 1/60th (light meter reading) and I + compensate to + 1

1/3. Will my flash (in ttl mode) overexpose to +1 1/3? Thanks in

advance!

Hi John,

It depends on your camera and your flash and what mode you are in! If you use Canon the

camera compensation will alter the background exposure only, the flash compensation will

alter the subject only. So in your case of a white dress and a white wall you would need to

compensate both camera and flash. This is with Canon ETTL. Others will work differently.

Take care, Scott.

I should have mentioned, I have a Nikon F-5 and D1X, and a Contax 645. My question was geared more towards the Contax. I am trying to figure out if I shoot with the camera in manual mode and set my exp. comp to the plus side, will it affect the flash out put. The reason I ask is because for some reason Contax decided to not make a fully compatible off camera flash cord and I am not able to + - comp on the flash. It still works in ttl, I just cant bump up the power or knock down the power with the + - comp on the flash. Trying to figure out a way to overcome this. In theory, it should work, just wondering if anyone has any first hand experience with this problem.

John, consider getting get rid of the Contax flash and try a Sunpak 120J with the C/Y TTL

module. That's what I now use on my Contax 645. The 120J is a bare-bulb so the light is

nicer, and it is easy to control for +/- compensation. It's relatively inexpensive, has the

ability to use AAs or aux. batteries like the Quantum Turbo and has a lot of light shaping

attachments available (all the Quantum shades fit it).

You can still use your Contax off camera cord, but it is just a straight 3 pin unit that

Contax should have upgraded years ago along with their aging Nikon designed flash.

Given that Contax seems to be edging toward oblivion in terms of professional

photography gear, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for improvements.