camera and cold

bob-c

<p>On Monday in Philadelphia, the Flyers will play the Rangers in one of those NHL outdoor games. The ice will remain up through Wednesday so two high school teams and two college teams can play. I will be shooting the high school game (I teach at one of the schools) but it is forecast to be very cold here on Wednesday and the game is at 5 PM. My question is: Are there any concerns using my Canon 7D outside in what could be well below freezing temperatures (teens)? I guess the game will last at least an hour and a half. I am aware of the battery issue but are there any other concerns? Thanks.</p>

<p>Keep your spare battery warm, and alternate batteries. (mainly for people that might not know about the battery issues), and bring the camera back to room temperature slowly after the game.<br>

I usually use an insulated lunch bag, and when out in the cold, put the camera into a ziplock bag until it is warm enough to remove. That can sometimes be the next day. So if you need to do any post processing, take the cards out before putting the camera away.</p>

<p>Good advice, I had my 7D out last weekend on a hike at -15 F. These cameras are built well, had my 5D mark II with me in -40 degree weather. I shoot a lot of dog mushing events, laying in the snow or on my backpack. This weekend it was -4 F and I shot for an hour and a half on one battery.</p>

<p>Whenever I am in the elements I prefer the 1D bodies. I haven't used the 7D so I cannot speak to it, but I know battery life becomes an issue with all cameras when shooting in the cold. So absolutely have a minimum of 1 backup battery, and bring your charger if you have access to AC between periods.</p>