Calling it quits after 4 years...here's my wedding photography experience

greg_burnett

<p>Hi All,<br>

The purpose of this post is to let you know what my experience as a wedding photographer was like and what could be learned from it.</p>

<p>I know there are several posts like this, here’s mine.</p>

<p>I found photography in high school, took classes there and in college with a film SLR…did the dark room thing. I loved it. I realized that a better career path would probably start with a degree in business, which would still be helpful if I decided to pursue photography.</p>

<p>I enjoyed taking pictures of boring everyday things in creative ways as well as more exciting things, like motorsports. I knew that shooting a wedding would blend those two in a way, high paced and creative. It would also be a massive challenge and force me to step up my game, fast. It would force me to learn a lot, think on my feet, and get familiar with an aspect of photography that many photographers are smart enough to avoid like the plague.</p>

<p>Knowing that I lacked the skill and experience to shoot a wedding on my own, I decided to find a studio that wanted to use me as a second shooter. I finally found one-bonus, they paid me! I learned a lot and had a great time. I did better than I expected, though I knew that it wasn’t nearly as stressful as it would be had I been on my own. I only shot 2 weddings for them before I graduated with a degree in Finance, a couple weeks later my wife was laid off from a job in the housing industry (end of 2008). So, we packed up and moved from CA to CO where we knew a total of 2 adults.</p>

<p>Living in a basement underneath a woman wearing hard shoes and two toddlers slamming toys around wasn’t exactly a good long term living arrangement. Though, as it was 2009, it wasn’t the greatest time to find a job. So, I thought, I would try to make my own. I started my own photography business in 2009. I only wanted to do weddings and I had only 2 under my belt as an assistant. Not much of a portfolio to work with, but I had little choice. I spent hundreds…or thousands of hours researching the competition, putting a contract together, setting pricing (based on a line graph of my local competition-skill vs price), building a website, practicing, consulting with an accountant, the SBA, a lawyer, fellow photographers and business owners. I read books, websites, blogs, and watched webinars. I tried to build connections with other photographers so that I could work with them, no luck. Most wouldn’t even respond to an offer for free help. I responded to craigslist ads too, heard back on almost none. My wife visited with dozens of local vendors, showing my album, handing out cards, and trying to get me on their preferred vendor list. I advertised on the Knot, craigslist, tried to do a Groupon too.</p>

<p>This basically all failed to work because I had, essentially, zero experience and zero personal network in my area. I couldn’t shoot for friends, family, college buddies, or work associates…I had none.</p>

<p>I got my first gig in 2011 through a Knot deal, sort of like a Groupon. It was an engagement shoot that went very well. Both the couple and myself were very impressed. I put it on my site, kept paying the Knot and hoping something would happen. I chatted with them regularly to review my site, marketing language, and do whatever we could to help me stay in business and give them my advertising money. They weren’t much help at first but eventually became a very wonderful resource.</p>

<p>Again, I had only 2 weddings and 1 engagement shoot on my site, not a lot to work with. Despite my effort to disguise, but not lie about, this fact, my potential clients recognized that there were only 2 weddings and went elsewhere.<br>

Finally, I started getting bookings in 2012…lots. I went from zero to 10 in a year. I was thrilled, thought I’d be a great success if I could continue that rate of growth. I’ve shot 8 this year, no other bookings at the moment. Almost all of my bookings have been my minimum package. I recently decided to increase my rates in the hopes of becoming profitable; it was do or die time. The number of inquiries I got plummeted after raising my prices.</p>

<p>In case you have just started thinking about getting into wedding photography, as much as it sucks to hear this, here’s what you need to know.</p>

<p>1-You will have an incredibly difficult time getting started if you don’t have a big network of (friends, family, co-workers, college buddies) marrying age people. Even if you do, it’s a good idea to shoot for another photographer to build a portfolio and network with vendors.</p>

<p>2-Pretty much no matter where you are, there is a ton of competition. There will always be someone who can do a better job for less money. Unless you are so talented and connected that you only cater to clientele to whom 3k or 10k makes no difference, you will be fighting with everyone else. Worse still, everyone else includes students. I’ve lost a few potential clients because $600 was too much money; they were going to trust their special day to someone with zero experience, cheap gear, and likely no backup gear or insurance to save a couple hundred dollars.</p>

<p>3-Starting a photography business is cheap, compared to other businesses, so long as it’s not a full on studio. That said, it’s still very hard to make that money back and make a profit. I invested some equipment that I already owned (about 2k worth) plus about 6k in cash for additional equipment and overhead. I’m cashing out with additional gear but only about 5k in cash. I got tax refunds for the losses on prior years, not sure how much of that will have to be given back for profit in 2013. So, after 18 weddings I am somewhere around zero.</p>

<p>4-Nobody, except wedding photographers seems to understand why $600 is too cheap. I started at $600 for 4 hours, many went elsewhere because of price-or at least that’s what they told me. $150/hr sounds great to most people getting it and terrible to those paying it. For some reason, nobody thinks about the time that you’re not billing for, or overhead. A 4 hour wedding would really take me about 25 or so, plus the non job specific time required to run a business. You have to charge enough to cover the time it takes to: answer emails, calls, take meetings, deposit checks, review contracts, review details of the wedding, research the venue, charge/prep/pack, drive, shoot, edit, backup and deliver the images, and post the highlights on your site, facebook, blog, or wherever and finally to solicit reviews. Then, after you divide what you charged over all of that time, you still have to have enough for your computer equipment, software, camera equipment, repairs, rentals, gas, insurance, taxes, etc. It makes me wonder if people charging 3k/wedding are even making money! I know they’re using more expensive gear and software than I am, probably spending more time editing too. I don’t know how anyone makes money doing this. You would have to have a ton of work and charge what you’re worth.</p>

<p>5-It’s got to be one of the best ways you can learn photography, assuming you don’t mind letting down a client every now and again. I was lucky, after shooting 20 weddings (including 2 as a second shooter), I have made every couple happy. If there was any feedback, it was positive. The first real wedding I shot as an owner and lead, I did so with strep throat (almost no voice and a bad cough) and incompetent second shooter. She made many stupid mistakes, like focusing on the wall several feet behind the group of people while doing group/family portraits-this left the people way soft focused. Somehow, even that couple was happy. There’s a ton of pressure. You must get pretty much everything right every time, be in the right place, at the right time, and with the right lens and settings. Most shots cannot be redone, and if it is possible, it just makes you look like you were incapable of getting it the first place-which is probably the truth. I already had some sleep and anxiety problems, this did not make things easier for me. If you freeze under pressure, sometimes aren’t sure what settings to use, hesitate, can’t politely control a crowd and command respect without being a jerk-you will not do well.</p>

<p>6-Doing this was very rewarding. It was nice to own a business, would have been better if it were more profitable. But still, I had control over it, it was completely mine. Most couples respected me and asked me to help them decide their schedule, where to shoot, how many hours, etc. It felt good to be viewed as an <em>expert </em>at something.</p>

<p>Based on feedback from couples and my very harsh self judgment, I think I’ve done pretty well. I’ve become a better photographer, I’ve made some good connections, I’ve learned how to sell myself, increased my confidence and reduced my introverted tendencies (if only slightly).</p>

<p>I’m not sure I would do it again. I gave up an incalculable amount of time in this pursuit. After 4 years of putting in a huge amount of effort, it’s time to call it.</p>

<p>I am certain of my decision to quit. I look forward to having the time to have a life again, to do things I enjoy (even photography for fun, which I did very little of while doing weddings). I’ll also get back to my old hobbies, those which have been so open and honest about taking my hard earned money.</p>

<p>I am still shocked by how hostile this business is to newcomers. I’m incredibly grateful to the couples who gave me a chance! For some reason, I will always hold a grudge for those who wasted my time with meetings, calls, emails, and even commitments to sign and put down a deposit only to vanish-how hard is it to say, ‘sorry, we’ve found someone else we like more.’ There’s lots of photographers out there, you’re not going to be for everyone and I never took that personally. When you work something like 60 hours a week, it hurts when someone won’t take the 30 seconds to send an email saying they’ve moved on.</p>

<p>So, if you are a current or former wedding photographer, I’m curious how your experience compared with mine and what other advice you might offer to people considering entering this incredibly competitive environment. I know I’m a little crazy and I could have done things differently…like not start in the first place. Now that I’m past that, and I already point enough blame at myself, what can we do to help those who are crazy enough to think about doing this themselves?</p>

<p>To potential newcomers, I’m open to your questions. Though my lack of success means my advise may be limited and not worth much. Personally, I think you can learn at least as much from failure as you can success.</p>

<p> If I say…Run! Don’t do it! Many people would take that as a challenge. You think, who’s this guy, I’m smarter than him, I’m a better photographer, I can do it! You may be right and I wish you luck!</p>

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I shot weddings in the film days but got out many years ago. In those days it was much harder to get it right (there was

no instant review or digital recovery). The competition was probably a less price competitive as everyone had similar

costs - no one would have used an amateur who owned an SLR and kit zoom (they didn't really exist back then - zoom

were rare, slow and expensive). I look at some of the wedding shots around nowadays and the quality is just shocking -

the basics of composition and exposure are lacking in many. Of course back in the film days a lot of money was made

afterwards in prints and albums - today it seems that at the lower end of the market people give the digital copies away. I

think the entry barriers are too low (anyone can call themselves a wedding photographer) and many of the buyers are

very unsophisticated. I have not read bridal magazines but I can only assume that articles on what to look for in a

wedding photographer are scare in these publications. There are of course some very talented and creative wedding

photographers out there - some of whom seem to be working for very low rates.

<p>Years ago I thought about trying to make money with a photography related business. I never gave it a shot because 1) I'm honestly not as talented as the few people who are profitable at it. 2) Even if I was talented enough, the market is so flooded as you mentioned and it seemed like it would only be an exercise in frustration. I guess it represents the best and worst of the takeover of digital photography (The entry barrier/learning curve is low and there is no shortage of people willing to give it a shot.) Of course if you don't have the talent it doesn't matter, but I would imagine that years ago the time, expense and learning curve of shooting/developing film and/or working in a wet darkroom helped to weed out the pack somewhat. The poor economy probably doesn't help much either if it is your average middle class couple getting married. Professional wedding photos are a luxury item to many and while they are nice I'm sure plenty of people would be more than happy to cut costs as long as they just get some nice memories captured at all. Few are well-versed in the more intricate aspects of what makes a good wedding photo and I know of more than a few couples who just recruited a family or friend to fill in as a designated "cameraman." As you said I think the handful of people who can make a go of it have been in the game for years prior to the digital revolution and already had a solid reputation and portfolio or they are either just incredibly talented and/or connected to a well-heeled client base.</p>

<p>How forthright and honest of you Greg! You are right, everyone can learn from wins and losses.</p>

<p><strong>Making a living at photography has indeed become quite difficult</strong> ... not just wedding photography, almost all categories have gotten harder to break into, establish yourself, or even survive. A naggingly persistent poor economy doesn't help one bit ... which made your timing a financial assault on your every effort, compounded by all your other circumstances</p>

<p>Photojournalist have been impacted by the demise of newspapers and magazines, and the ubiquitous on-site cell phone. Commercial photographers have been impacted by slashed marketing budgets, the shift to web-based marketing, an exponential growth of stock photography, CGI, even companies using amateur employes to shoot products, and so on. </p>

<p>As far as weddings and portraits go, the impact of techno-wonder, do it all for you, digital cameras has been discussed to death. However, Phillip Wilson touches on something more telling than "easy to use gear" motivating herds of freshly minted "Pro photographers" to set up shop ... then shooting for pocket change.</p>

<p><strong>In short, the public doesn't have a clue.</strong> Most people getting married now are social media inclined ... heavily trafficked websites dedicated to the banal and mundane ... punctuated by equally banal images that garner thumbs ups, thanks, or swooning accolades. It is where the average go to congratulate the average ... in mass.</p>

<p>Dedicated and experienced wedding photographers may be more humanly insightful, apply a higher degree of craftsmanship and artistry, and employ creativity well beyond the average Joe or Jane could even dream of ... but much of that goes unrecognized, and by default under-valued. So, photography is evolving into a commodity like soy beans, and price for time spent becomes the criteria. </p>

<p>They also have no idea of the time spent before and after a wedding shoot. They are used to some cell phone shot appearing on their Facebook page minutes after being taken ... "So what's the big deal?" </p>

<p><strong>Of course, there are exceptions to all of the above ...</strong> There are a lot of more savvy clients with taste and a willingness to pay for it ... however, they are not growing in number, while ever more photographers try to get that prized client's business ... including some of those talented journalists and commercial photographers looking to survive.</p>

<p>Personally, I had the good sense to NOT quite my day job even though doing 15 to 20 weddings a year for close to two decades. I also diversified into commercial work and specialized portraiture. I feasted on the fat days and never went into debt ... all while on advice of my accountant, preparing for famine.</p>

<p>When the recession hit (a depression spun into something less by politicians), it impacted almost every photographer in my area, established or not, talented or not. Studios closed daily. Once proud portrait shooters resorted to volume work like school sports, paying freelancers less than pocket change for 15- 18 hours work. </p>

<p><strong>I'm fortunate</strong> that the full impact of the digital revolution and Great Recession coincided with reaching retirement age, which ... (unlike many of my photo friends that stayed the course in photography, and now face pushing a grocery cart full of their remaining possessions), I was prepared for. </p>

<p>I still shoot weddings and portraits, but on my terms and for a fairly hefty fee. People don't like it? They are free to go elsewhere, and I'll just enjoy my Summer shooting what I want, when I want.</p>

<p><strong>Timing is everything!</strong></p>

<p>- Marc</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Key quote, right here: <em>"It makes me wonder if people charging 3k/wedding are even making money!"</em><br>

<em><br /></em>Thank you, Greg, for allowing us to benefit from your experience. I, an amateur, was cajoled into shooting the wedding of a close friend's son this past summer. Yes, I tried, several times, to get them to hire a professional, but for many reasons, they asked me to shoot. I have never photographed "so hard" in my life. I came away from the experience with a real appreciation for the pros who do this work, and for the hours they spend at the computer after the photography part of the job is done. I, too, wondered how it was possible to make money doing this kind of work. </p>

<p>Oh, they were happy with my results, and we're still friends. I'm grateful for the experience, but I will be hiring a professional for my kids' weddings. </p>

<p>I once came across an attorney's post in a forum who had graduated law school and got his licence 2 years prior. In it, he complained about his $100k+ student debt, how clients objected to the high cost of billable hours even though his fee was consistent with a start-up attorney, didn't appreciate the amount work that went into a case, don't understand the outcome-uncertainty of disputes, the overhead in maintaining a small law office, late or non-payments - in short, the same sort of thing wedding photographers complain about. </p>

<p>So he decided he will quit his practice and join his brother's car dealership. </p>

<p>I think a $3k+ wedding gig is a privilege a photographer earns just like a seasoned attorney with a demonstrable track record can attract clients able to afford their service, but someone who can not afford high cost services doesn't necessarily mean they're unsophisticated any more than the average car you drive implies your poor taste in cars - if you drive an old car and it breaks down, you'll still complain and no one should tell you the obvious - go buy yourself a new car. You get what you pay for. </p>

<p>Without disrespect for any individual, I think it's often the wedding photographer who is unsophisticated, ill informed, and generally naive about what it takes to make it in the profession no different from anyone competing in any other profession. There will always be room for one more $3k+ wedding photographer to make a living in any market; whether or not that's "you" depends on "you" only and no one else. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>From an outsider's perspective (although I have taken a wedding jobs in the past), I am always surprised when I meet someone who says they are going "into photography" as a business. I politely inquire into their sanity. It always seems to be those who started photography about a year earlier and are probably surprised and gratified that they can make a decent image easily. Marc is absolutely right about the present state of the digital culture of images. To be a full time professional, who can pay his bills and make enough to live on, requires exceptional people and marketing skills - and that is before they even take any photos. I also think that the importance of the wedding has diminished over the last 30 years for the majority with the rise of divorce and civil unions, so recording it beautifully is even less of a priority than it was.</p>

<p>Even a casual look at pro photographers' salaries tells you that the majority are not well paid by any stretch of the imagination.</p>

Robin Smith

<p>What goes on in the wedding photography business is also happening in the wedding DJ business.</p>

<p>In the old days, DJs will bring crates of LPs and spin turntables playing music on vinyl from every imaginable genre to please a diverse audience. These days, every 20 year-old is interesting in DJ'ing with low cost digital gear armed with gigs and gigs of downloaded music on hard disk using modern digital control surfaces and software that'll even beat-match for you. </p>

<p>There's simply not enough money in the low-cost market to justify lugging around a few hundred pounds of gear, setup, tear down, and make sure everyone is loving your music without a stone-faced crowd and no one dancing, but that doesn't deter the 20 year-old with dreams of doing what he loves and getting paid for it - until he has to move out of his parents' basement. Meanwhile he has eroded the DJ market by advertising himself as cheap-cheap-cheap.</p>

<p>The real modern pro-DJ is a professional with knowledge of music and what people want to hear, and expert with his gear, supplies lighting, and operates in the same manner as any professional contractor. It's not necessarily cheap but you're guaranteed an evening of service that'll meet expectations. I'm not sure any of them are rich, but a few of them in every market seem to have been able to sustain a real business spanning longer than a flash in the pan. </p>

<p>Just curious Michael, are you a wedding Photographer? Do you make your living from it?</p>

<p>The Law profession isn't the same as Wedding Photography. Everyone and his pet dog isn't hanging out a Lawyer sign ... because they can't ... by law.</p>

<p>Too many of these folks don't bother with commercial insurance, just fold their tent when they screw up, and mostly offer shoot and burn, so now hardly anyone can make a living because very few clients buy prints or albums ... which was once a source of revenue.</p>

<p>Yes, it is a privilege to shoot a $3,000+ wedding ... I've always felt that way ... but to think the majority of the social media generation are looking for a long lasting sophisticated treatment of their photographic wedding record is truly naive ... Perhaps the most celebrated wedding shot of the past generation was Dennis Reggie's classic shot of John Kennedy and Carolyn exiting a quaint New England church ... this year is was a truly amateurish rendering of a T-Rex chasing a wedding party! Here today, gone today.</p>

<p>However, I do agree that it is up to you to succeed, but one's expectations should be tempered by reality and market conditions, and be prepared ... even then, it is no guarantee that after years of toil, it may not happen anyway.</p>

<p>The average price paid for wedding Photography has dropped over the past 5 years, and after shoot sales have declined significantly ... while the costs have risen. Insurance is more, equipment is more, gas is more, clothes are more, food is more, transportation is more ...</p>

<p>Some will defy it all and make a go of it no doubt. But I can tell you from discussions on other Pro Wedding forums, more are fleeing than sticking ... and/or diversification is the watchword. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Greg, I applaud you in your efforts at attempting to save others from a similar fate. <br>

I shot my first wedding in 1978 and many since, but I haven't shot a wedding for two years now, I think I'm retired... I did it mostly because I loved the atmosphere and joy of the day, the money was always secondary back then. I didn't require the overhead that is needed today. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>There will always be room for one more $3k+ wedding photographer to make a living in any market; whether or not that's "you" depends on "you" only and no one else.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Up to my last wedding I was charging $3000 for a service I was told would have cost $6000 in the city. I worked by word-of-mouth and was happy to divert customers to other local photographers if I didn't feel I would enjoy working with them or my price 'surprised' them. Most of my overflow work is gladly taken by the $600 crowd (two school teachers and a single mom) who will bang out the usual flawed product. I do not have a website. I do not supply a DVD. I do not use a second shooter, only a very well trained assistant who is delighted with $200 for a long Saturday. My package includes a traditional wedding experience. A leather album into which I place 20 8x10s chosen by the couple from 200 4x6s that I cull from maybe 300 shots on the day. I have never used the motor drive on a digital DSLR, I shoot one at a time. <br>

Greg, I left my hometown and 'network' 25 years ago and moved to a tiny vacation area in northern Ontario. I knew nobody here. It is an economically depressed area where many haven't worked in decades since the only manufacturing plant moved away. Children grow up and leave as quick as they can. There is only a fast food industry here for them. I was employed in the construction industry originally but was unable to continue for health reasons so I turned once again to my camera and my marketing skills. 'My' marketing skills. There are others here with cameras, of course, but not with adequate enough people skills to sell themselves. I chose to meet in person with potential clients rather than to direct them to a website. I would spend half the time educating the couple to what might go wrong if they chose a service based on price rather than quality and the other half with a sample album of previous work. I learned that strategy from Life Insurance salespeople, scare the hell out of them ;) If I couldn't close them at the meeting I would leave them with a list of sample questions to ask my competition. I got a very high number of call-backs. <br>

Finally, I offered SERVICE, above and beyond what the others were willing to do. I would almost always be present at the rehearsal, usually the night before. That would allow me to check the lighting, the angles, to see everything in advance, but most importantly to meet everyone who would be involved. I would work hard to remember everyone's names and make sure they knew mine. I would be able to speak privately with the officiant at some point to set the ground rules for the ceremony. I would sometimes even be consulted on the ceremony itself and assist in the choreography as the person in the room with the most experience. In this way I would become a valued participant in the event and not just a hired hand. Being on a first name basis with everyone the next day was huge for me. The following day, I would shoot the girls getting prepped, the guys getting ready, the ceremony, the formals and then the reception. I stayed until it was 'over'. I made sure the clients got their 'money's worth'. <br>

By operating this way I didn't need to advertise for 15 years and could pick and choose my work. These days I shoot family portraiture outdoors, often right here, and my time is stress-free. I also NEVER turn down a charity gig when the phone rings. <br>

Greg, I don't have a business degree and I'm a self-taught photographer at best, but I believe if at first you don't succeed, you will have at least learned valuable lessons to apply the next time. Many live their lives never having even tried. You are to be commended for that if nothing else.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>First, thanks to Greg B. for a thorough and very candid post. This ought to be a "sticky" — and all the newbies who come here announcing that they're "getting into wedding photography" should be required to read this and take a short test on it afterwards. I'm not completely joking about that (certainly not about the sticky part).</p>

<p>• </p>

<p>Marc W. says,</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The Law profession isn't the same as Wedding Photography. Everyone and his pet dog isn't hanging out a Lawyer sign ... because they can't ... by law.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes, absolutely. Things are hard even for lawyers, but the market is nothing like the photography market at all. The lawyers had the good sense eons ago to pass laws protecting themselves.</p>

<p>The PPA is trying to do something remotely similar with certification — to establish a standard of competence. But there's no way that they will ever get a law passed saying that you can't hang out a shingle as a photographer until you have your CPP.</p>

<p>Will</p>

Your story doesn't surprise me for two reasons. First as a software engineer with 2 degrees and 35 years of experience, I

know that anyone can call themselves a programmer and it can be pretty hard to demonstrate why I'm a better bet for an

employer than that person. Secondly, I'm only an amateur photographer, yet I've learned enough to know just how little I

know. No matter how smart or talented someone is, they're still going to make all the stupid mistakes that the experienced

person would not.

I suspect the bargain hunters think photography must be easy so they're expecting bargain prices and professional skill,

not realizing that that combination is pretty unlikely. Thanks for your post, it was very informative. I wish you luck.

Lets face it. You have to advertise. Living on referrals won't work. You also have to advertise smartly. Knowing where to spend your money and getting your moneys worth.

The Knot didn't work for me. Not 1 wedding.

I advertise in a wedding network and the local Chambers. These are your free sales force.

Almost all of those $3000 weddings are gone, however you can sometimes hit that $3000 mark and more, by not giving away the dang CD's as almost every photographer does.

In just a few sentances I've written you should make it in the wedding bizz. Advertise wisely.

<p>Here is a counter point-of-view to even my own posts here.</p>

<p>This endeavor is like every other. It ebbs and flows. While the over-saturation of shooters and commodifying of wedding photography in the minds of the public prevails now ... it is most likely sure to change.</p>

<p>The saturation may ease as people like the OP gracefully drop out, and people like me taper off into retirement. Clients may well revisit quality, after enough disappointments take place.</p>

<p>It may well be that wedding photography will become a part time endeavor only, and not the basis of a full time occupation as it once could be. Or perhaps a component of a larger service or combined service such as video/still packages (like how DJ services are now offering photo/video packages). Who knows what will succeed and what will fail? </p>

<p>The prize will go to those perceptive enough to catch the next wave. </p>

<p>- Marc</p>

<p> </p>

I confess that I have not shot a wedding for a while now, but back in the day my photographic partner and I had a formula that worked for us. We networked, we knew all the local churches and wedding venues, we would take on a civil ceremony/register office wedding when few other photographers would touch them. On a good Saturday we could be covering 5 or 6 weddings between us. We both used Bronica ETRS cameras with 35mm backups and had a very good working relationship with the local photo processing house who did our work exclusively, (and reworked it when we were not happy at no charge.)

We offered a Silver, Gold or Platinum service, 90% of couples took the Gold, which ended up as 36 photos in an album, which translated into 3 rolls of film in the ETRS at 15 on a roll. It worked because we knew the venues and as such where the light would be at a certain time of day. We also worked together well so could back each other up on each ceremony, the whole thing was about planning. We also used CB radios to keep in touch as it was before the days of affordable cell phones!

Would I do a wedding today? Yes, but only on my terms! I would shoot digitally but I still have the Bronica if the couple wanted that Film Look. Would I give them a CD/DVD with 500 images on? No Way! They can have the 36 images in an album with maybe jpegs for a fee. I think that the wedding business that I knew in the 80's and 90's has died. I have no desire to carry on into the digital age. The last wedding I shot was about two years ago for some neighbours. They were very happy with the results and many of their friends were shocked to see that they had an album of 10X8 prints and not a CD/DVD.

On a personal level I think that the modern digital camera has now equalled or surpassed the film camera in most respects. I still shoot film in B&W because I feel that for me it still has an edge, but that is more about emotion than technical reasons. But for 99% of photography for commercial purposes, digital has the best solution.

Just my .02 worth

<p>Here is how I got started, with my learning experiences and advice mixed in for newcomers:<br /><br />I started photographing weddings in May of last year, after moving from a very large state to a very small one. Before that I was a product and fine art photographer. I didnt know anyone, so I got my start on Craigslist. I needed some portfolio work, so I advertised for free engagement sessions. I got 2 responses, and the photos turned out okay. Then, my best friend from back home announced she was getting married and she was doing it all very last minute and on a tight budget (from start to finish, 3 weeks from her telling me to her wedding day). All of her close friends were pitching in in different ways, and so I was the photographer. Her reception was going to be in a restaurant, so I knew I needed to get serious about learning flash (I had always used a light box for the product and art photography). I rented back up equipment. I naturally like to read and study things, but I turned that up 10 notches to prepare for this wedding.<br /><br />Day of the wedding, I found out my best friend organized to have another friend photograph the wedding as well! Even though I was a newbie too, from working with this other friend, I learned the difference between those motivated to photograph weddings because they think it'll be fun and easy, to those who have a passion for it and want to be serious about making it a career (I was the latter, of course!). She was not prepared, had no sense for posing or timeline, did not have a flash for the dark reception, and her post-processing was all over the place. My best friend used just a few of her photos in their wedding album. She did photograph my friend's engagement session, and those came out very nice. Looking back on it now, she truly represents that classic case of "I have a friend who can take nice photos," that potential wedding clients bring up. Sure, they may take nice photos under zero-pressure situations with unlimited timelines, but a wedding is a whole different story and there is a lot more involved besides taking nice photos.<br /><br />After that, I officially had a wedding portfolio! I continued advertising on Craigslist, for extremely low rates. I was basically paying the couple to work for them, I was charging so little. But I knew it was a starting point for me. I needed to gain more experience and I wanted to find couples with very low expectations for wedding photos (yes, they do exist). I bought a 5D3, several flashes, and got business and equipment insurance. I booked several weddings where they did not plan on hiring a photographer but saw how cheap I was and hired me. Now, this is the point where many wedding photographers will say that Craigslist brides are psychotic women who have huge expectations and want $10,000 photos on a $100 budget. They will be nightmares to work with. Serendipitously, I never experienced this. I was very upfront about my skills and experience, and all my couples were so grateful to find a photographer on a budget.<br /><br />Every 3rd wedding I booked, I increased my rates by roughly 50%. Just enough that I could get referrals from past weddings, without the new couples being shocked at my hugely increased prices. I did make one mistake though. I didnt account for my rates increasing a year later. I booked several weddings at my low price a year in advance. This summer, I photographed one wedding for a couple hundred bucks, and the next weekend--at the same location, no less!--for over a thousand more. I now plan on reviewing my price structure in the middle of each wedding season, see how I'm doing, what could work better, and adjust my rates for the next year. Along this note of crunching numbers--be prepared for taxes! I naively thought I could file with my income taxes, but it turns out there are quarterly filing dates. Woops.<br /><br />Last year, while perusing Craigslist, I saw an ad from another wedding photographer looking for a second shooter for several weddings. I responded and I worked with her for free for 4 weddings and I got lots of great portfolio work (always discuss the terms! I dont like to leave anything to assumption and I made sure it would be okay to use my images in a portfolio, with credit to her). She was my first step in networking. She grew up here, knows a ton of vendors, and has really helped me gain a foothold in this small, very tight-knit wedding industry. She sends me a lot of referrals and I've booked several weddings from her. This year, on a different photography forum, I saw a wedding photographer ask some questions about hiring a second, who just so happened to be located in my small state. I private messaged him and offered my services. We hit it off and I've worked with him on a few weddings for a very nice second shooter rate. Slowly but surely, I'm growing my network. It's intimidating since I'm an introvert and I'm trying to break into a business where all the other vendors have known each other for years and years and, living in a small town, have practically grown up with each other and their wedding clients. But it can be done. I plan to join some of the local wedding networking groups soon.<br /><br />Last year, I photographed 8 solo weddings and 4 as a second. This year, 13 solo weddings and 3 as a second. I have 8 solos booked for next year (whereas this time last year, I had 2 booked). 90% of my bookings for next year are via word of mouth and referrals (I'm starting to get found via Google, which is exciting. I've been very bad about blogging, but I've spent the hours doing the mind-numbing task of properly alt-tagging my portfolio images. I think it's finally paying off. Also: sign up for all those free wedding vendor listings! Get your website out there). This year, it was about 50/50 Craigslist and word of mouth. Last year, 100% Craigslist. I've booked several weddings via Facebook (I ask all my clients to tag themselves in their sneak peek album) and one of their friend's-mother's-sister's-best friend saw the wedding and contacted me for her wedding. My goal is 15 solo weddings a year at my current (and profitable, yay!) rates. However, I'm happy to do this part-time (although, it sure doesnt feel part time during the summer months) since I live in the north east and wedding season is dead during the winter. I have a part-time job that's also involved in the photography industry. I like having the reliable income. I'm slowly branching out into other related portrait photography (babies and boudoir) and hopefully that will eventually fill up the dead winter months.<br /><br />My next steps are signing up for Two Bright Lights and trying to get blog-published to increase my SEO, my brand, and word of mouth buzz. I have yet to pay for any wedding vendor listing. My biggest problem at the moment is convincing couples to go with a higher package; really nice albums arent convincing them. They are very stuck on getting just the digital images.<br /><br />So, that's my story! Hope it helps anyone out there who is looking into becoming a wedding photographer. It is a lot of work, but I love it.</p>

<p>I think some people posting here miss, or don't miss but completely fail to understand, the huge shifts in culture and entertainment that are going on. There's a lot of "good old days" talk that sounds like some of the silent film actors when the "talkies" came along. </p>

<p>People's attitudes about a) photography and b) marriage have changed dramatically. A lot of people weren't that interested in fancy photos before, but there wasn't much choice. And people I know are skipping the whole wedding thing and just living together and having kids. I talked to someone the other day who said they were having a City Hall wedding because they thought it was "cool." The wedding would be about 30 minutes, they just wanted a photographer for that. The wedding party was in a bar that evening and they were just going to have friends snap. </p>

<p>In addition, I hear from "millenials" that their parents never showed their albums to anyone so why should they bother with wedding photographers. I have exactly one photo from my wedding that's ever been on display and it's 5x7. I have no idea where the rest are. I don't think I knew a year afterwards.</p>

<p>The last two weddings I shot I was told "no formals." One didn't want the ceremony photographed. This is just the way things are going.</p>

<p>It's not just weddings though, it's all photography. The uses are different, the expectations are different, and the pay is different. I stopped doing fight photography because it wasn't paying that much more than the transportation any more. And what people wanted was a mix of stills and video. I shot a music festival for an online magazine recently and most of the photographers under 30 were shooting stills through one song and video through another. I suspect the videos will get far more views on youtube than any of the stills will anywhere.</p>

<p>It's time to accept that it's not newbie photographers or digital technology ruining photographers' business, it's that massive change in how people view their lives and images, a combination of the photography, particularly with phones, and the internet. Since the internet isn't going away, there isn't a lot of choice about this. </p>

Jeff while I agree with all your points I think digital photography is a factor. Back when I shot weddings medium format

was the customer expectation and the use of film meant that there was no instant feedback or much of a chance to

salvage things in post. Now with DSLRs being the norm from the weddings I have attended the entry barriers of skill and

equipment have been significantly reduced. Back in the film era the risk of failure scared many people off shooting

weddings as they often struggled with equipment settings and the basics of composition and exposure. I will shoot for

people I know but only on a non- commercial basis and I advise them to hire a professional. Over the last five years I

have shot at two weddings where the "professional" was completely incapable of doing his job. Indeed one of them never

took the camera out of fully automatic mode and had now idea what a RAW file was!. This does not seem to be limited to

just weddings as I see it with a range of photographic disciplines from school photographs to the people who shoot group

photos at ski hills. Next time you encounter one of these professionals ask them what their experience is. The last

shooter at a ski hill I encountered was a "professional" but had only learnt to shoot about 3 weeks earlier. Indeed he was

very grateful when I explained what white balance was and how to set it using the snow! The simple fact is that in

addition to attitudes changing (hence my comment about go pros) the entry barrier / risk equation has also changed.

With a DSLR you can shoot a lot more photos, the LCD gives you some idea if you have an image and so even someone

totally unskilled now feels brave enough to set themselves up as a professional. In the days of film the costs of film and

processing and the uncertainty on exposure and focus deterred many people. In addition the limited size of a film meant

that you needed two bodies.

<p>Statistics back up Jeff's anecdotal comments. According to a 2011 article in the Huffington Post, percent of marriages were down 20% since 1960. Also, couples that do get married, tend to do so later in life than in the past. Of course, this doesn't take into account the increase in population, especially the second baby boom represented by Generation Y. </p>

<p>A number of factors are at play here. That many younger people entered the work force just as the economy tanked didn't make for a bright outlook ... such events have a direct correlation on social attitudes and actions. Also, as Jeff mentioned, other arrangements formerly looked down upon, have become socially acceptable.</p>

<p>A key bit of info is that people who are educated have less decline in marriages than those less educated. Also, it is a general fact that marriage is a key attribute in building wealth long term.</p>

<p>The above is born out in my own anecdotal experiences. While the amount of weddings I've shot noticeably declined in the past 3 or four years, the weddings I did book tended to be 30+ couples ready to start a family after solidifying their lives. All but one couple were highly educated professionals, and the average price paid for their photos was at least twice my previous average, give or take. These folks have a plan, and family is taking on a more important role.</p>

<p>With this target client, things like family groups have once again taken on more importance ... 6 years ago, clients wanted to minimize formals opting for more candid works ... now with this older client, it is becoming more of a priority again.</p>

<p>I also have noted that ethnic groups with a stronger family under-pinnings are more inclined toward bigger weddings, and full photographic services ... in this case it is heavily influenced by cultural traditions and the parents ... even if the couple is paying for the wedding themselves. </p>

<p>Expectations on these jobs is very high ... I even use a lighting tech on top of second shooter/assistant to assure results no matter what.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>A recent movie demonstrating Jeff's example of the advent of talkies is "The Artist." I liked it because I are one and because I still use Fresnel hot lights for that type of image. Folks here have to remember not only do our clients not appreciate the quality or expense of your gear that some photographers wax poetically about, they wouldn't know a rule of thirds from the inverse square rule. Most aren't artists or photographers. They are not contest judges and unfortunately, beauty is in the eye of the checkbook holder. So you have to please them. As for the legal field, some law schools have decreased their admissions. Some have been sued by their graduating students who cant find a job. Don't forget we are all facing a horrible economy. With 1 person in six below the poverty line and record numbers on food stamps, do you think they are buying $3000 weddings? They cant afford food. Jeff is absolute right, things have changed and not for the better. </p>

<p>Greg, I started out just before you and did almost exactly when you'd done. I'm a weekend worrier so out situations are different. One big difference is where you are located. If you are in a small town in CO; what you expeirenced is probably the norm. In bigger town like Denver, you could very well have done far better. Location is perhaps the number 1 deciding factor on how a business will perform. Sorry this didn't work out for you and good luck on your future endevor.</p>

<p>Thank you all for the support and stories. It's nice to hear from others who have had similar experiences.</p>

<p>Lauren S.-our stories sound very similar and my next step was to try 2nd shooting again (primarily to network), I just ran out of energy. Sounds like you have a great plan, best of luck to you!</p>

<p>Green Photog-I'm between Boulder and Denver, and cross market in probably the biggest demoof the state. I disagree and suspect that the problem is that having a larger area means getting lost in the giant mass of competition.</p>

<p>A lot of people are making many great points. I agree, my timing was terrible for manyreasons, though I couldn't control any of that. I believe that a big part of the trends that people see depend on their prices, their portfolio, referrals, and specific market. If you have a portfolio of lots of formals, you're going to attract clients who want that. Almost all of my clients only did group posed shots because they knew their family wanted them. A good portion of my clients were already married and just did this 'wedding' for the family. Fewer people are getting married and many of those who are don't have a ceremony/reception-of those, fewer still, care about photography enough to spend real money on it. The entry barriers are minuscule and way too many people think it will be fun and an easy way to make good money. Although I'm too young to have experienced the good old film days and post sales, I am sure that digital has all but killed a huge profit engine for photographers-albums and prints. When clients get all of the images, they can make all of the albums and prints they want for next to nothing. I always included all pics on DVD because I found a lot of couples felt that it was a rip off to be charged extra for it. Charging extra for it seems to be a list stitch effort by some to hold onto the film pricing model, it's dead.</p>

<p>I bet something like 50% of all DSLR's sold only leave manual/AV/TV modes accidentally, the owners don't know the first thing about the rule of thirds, 1/lens MM shutter speed, noise, exposure compensation, white balance, etc. The scary thing is when some of that crowd thinks they can be a pro. </p>

<p>I did a ton of learning before I did my first second shooter job and continued to teach myselfwhenever/whatever possible. I averaged well over 100 shots/hr at weddings and would normally deliver around 95% of that to the client. It is exhausting and very stressful. If only client appreciation could pay my bills!</p>

<p>The internal limiting factor for me was time and patience. It's possible I could have reached my goals if I stayed in it longer-if I had more time to develop a deeper former client referral base and network of vendors, and other photographers to swap work with. </p>

<p>Again, thank you all who have posted. I think this is becoming an increasingly helpful resource to those thinking about getting into this as well as to others like me-it seems quite apparent that there are many here who couldn't make it or knew it was too challenging to even bother trying.</p>

<p>Greg sorry you had such a tough time but I hope it will set you up for something better. As has been said entry barriers have fallen and attitudes have changed. There also seems to be a feeling that the technology is what differentiates photographers. When I take sports shots - such as a panning shot of a ski racer in flight (nice blurred background and sensation of speed) I am often told that it was my equipment that allowed me to get the shot that the parent with a kit zoom and low ends DSLR could not get. I agree that I used a much better lens and body but in this case I used manual focus, manual exposure and manual white balance. The reason the racer is large, centred in the frame and completely sharp was a result of years of practice. I think the public is being told that the difference is technology not skill. Just as your car can make you a better driver (it can now keep you in the land and stop you hitting things!) the belief is that the camera is the same. YEs technology has reduced the failure rate but in cannot make a bad photographer shoot like Robert Capa. Unfortunately the marking of the manufacturers has encouraged people otherwise. Indeed when i shoot sports with a big white lens I am often asked what zoom ration my lens has - the assumption being that such a big lens must be a massive zoom (1000x or more) even when i am shooting a prime!</p>