California Zephyr and Chicago

frantownshend

In a few days time I will be flying to San Francisco then boarding the train for Chicago. I am new to photography and would like advice on

photographing scenery from the train. In Chicago, besides the Bean and starting point for Route 66, can anyone suggest places I won't

want to miss photographing?

Thanks,

Fran

<p>In Chicago, a walk from the Bean (Cloud Gate by Anish Kapoor) to the Adler Planetarium south along the lake, about 2/3 mile, is a very pretty walk and affords good overall skyline views of Downtown, and the Navy Pier. The boat ride down the Chicago river, offered by the Chicago Architectural Society, gives unmatched views of many beautiful and historic buildings. The view from the Skybox on Willis Tower is pretty amazing. If you like street shooting, a walk around the downtown loop gives many opportunities for photography as well as great shopping and dining. Lot's of tourists around taking pictures so folks are accustomed to visitors with cameras. Don't miss the Art Institue of Chicago which is across the street from Millenium Park where Cloud Gate is found.</p>

<p>In addition to Louis' suggestions, if you have the time and interest, you can take a walking architectural tour. The Chagall mosaic in the plaza of the Chase bldg is well worth the visit, especially if you have a nice sunny day, as well as the Picasso sculpture in Daley Plaza, and a block away, the one in front of the Thompson Center. Chicago has more bascule bridges than anywhere else in the world, but they are being rapidly replaced by modern structures. I always likes photographing the "L", the trains which travel into and around the central business district known as "the loop", and its cousin, the subway. As far as train shots, my suggestions are as follows: often the panes of glass are tinted, throwing off colors...often correctable in post processing (never had much luck doing these in white balance in camera); use a fast shutter speed and learn to pan your shots; shoot out of the shady side of the train to avoid flare in your lenses. Depending on what you like to shoot (I like dilapidated industrial), you can get on the Metra and head west toward Wheaton, northwest toward Harvard, north toward Waukegan - turn around and come back. You can also go south, but personally I'm not a fan of those routes. Good luck shooting and have a great trip.</p>

Thanks Louis and Stephen for your Chicago photography suggestions which I have written into my travel diary. I see there is even a

special photography cruise one can take. Loved hearing about the abundance of bascule bridges - I wonder just how many there are left?

Thanks again,

Fran �

Take the architectural boat trip along the Chicago rivers. It is a must do for any photographer. Sit on the roof or on a row next to the boats

edge. While at the Bean, go to the outdoor stage. I cannot remember it's name. Take the walking bridge from the Bean to the Chicago

institute of art. This offers great views of downtown Chicago.

Joe

<p>I rarely have managed a decent photo from a moving vehicle (train, bus, or auto) much less an exceptional one. Occasionally, I've managed a decent one from a low flying plane or helicopter but most often you'll be done in by dirty window, reflections or an unfavorably positioned sun.</p>

• 3 months later...

<p>Finally I am reporting back on my California Zephyr train ride and time in Chicago.<br>

I managed a few good photos from the train (will put some up for critique). Wow, Colorado is SO beautiful! <br>

What an amazing city Chicago is! Loved my time there immensely. Hired a car to visit friends in Ohio then drove back into Chicago at dusk. Frankly, I didn't know a city could look so good. Only problem was I couldn't capture what I was seeing: it would have been great to have gotten out of the car. The large pots of flowers and plants all over the city was impressive.</p><div>00eIna-567187984.thumb.jpg.21f73655db07481d251b6b5377030f4e.jpg</div>